Getting around by car

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, RBM said:

I like many expats have driven and ridden extensively here with out problems. If one is familiar and careful should not be a problem. 

Have used maps.me plus google maps from time to time, both effective.

Last night arrived back after a 6 plus hour drive and was exhausted, it is tiring as the concentration required is intense. Especially at night.

As a tip I try to ovoid night driving, limit   daily driving time to 4 hours....with frequent rest stops.

I hate driving at night. With my tinted windows it wears me out because I have to concentrate so hard.:mellow:

• Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

She is not alone about not knowing how to read a map in Philippines. Most time I show the map for a pinoy/pinay and ask for directions, they just scratch their heads :89:

My GF has no sense of direction. At home when she points to where the market is..it's in the opposite direction. It's funny.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Sadly in the quest to improve the singing, dancing, and drumming of their pupils, such subjects as geography...including the concept of maps and map-reading, along with (world) history, appear to have been totally overlooked.  The English language appears  to be losing ground in the field of education too.  :whatever:

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I am with you lot on asking the wife to direct where we are going, and asking her to point to anywhere don’t they all point with there lips .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

My GF has no sense of direction. At home when she points to where the market is..it's in the opposite direction. It's funny.:biggrin:

My wife is the same :whistling:

6 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I am with you lot on asking the wife to direct where we are going, and asking her to point to anywhere don’t they all point with there lips .

This is something strange, why do they do like that?? Very hard to know what direction they mean :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Sadly in the quest to improve the singing, dancing, and drumming of their pupils, such subjects as geography...including the concept of maps and map-reading, along with (world) history, appear to have been totally overlooked.  The English language appears  to be losing ground in the field of education too.  :whatever:

I don't agree with that at all. Maybe public schools, but the private school that my son goes to uses English daily. His friends are very easy to communicate with. I put a map of the world on one our walls just to show him all of the places I went to when I was in the US Navy. He learned a lot. Maybe they should do that in the public schools also. I mean the map of the world.:tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I hate driving at night. With my tinted windows it wears me out because I have to concentrate so hard.:mellow:

Same here.  When I bought my black Trailblazer the tint was dark black.  Fine in the day time but terrible at night.  My eyesight is getting worse especially at night, and I was avoiding night driving.  My headlights are not that bright either so that doesn't help.

We were planning our trip up to Baguio this past weekend and I realized I would have to make the drive up after dark on Friday.  I had been talking to a local guy near my house about getting new tint and probably will get it.  However, no time before the trip.  One Wednesday I was talking to him about some various work I want to get done while our daughters played inside his shop (they go to school together) and I decided to have him rip the tint off the windshield before the Baguio trip.  It took 2 guys about 45 minutes to get it all off and clean the glue off.  He didn't charge me a dime.

Well, glory be, it was like night and day! I almost went back and got the front side windows tint ripped off, but I will wait.  On the drive up to Baguio, the normally scary drive on National Hwy to Rosario and beyond was fine.  It was so much better!

Sorry Steve, a bit off-topic, but I do highly recommend that any car you drive at night is not tinted too dark.  It is not safe!

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Of course they do. It took me 10 years to get used to it. Kidding:ohmy:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, stevewool said:

It's an island thing. I have observed this from Tonga, Fiji and Samoa all the way here to the Philippines They all do it and use their facial expressions much more than westerners to convey thoughts and feelings.

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Arizona Kid said:

I don't agree with that at all. Maybe public schools, but the private school that my son goes to uses English daily. His friends are very easy to communicate with. I put a map of the world on one our walls just to show him all of the places I went to when I was in the US Navy. He learned a lot. Maybe they should do that in the public schools also. I mean the map of the world.:tiphat:

They could start with the map of the Philippines, ALOT of pinoys/pinays cant even point out on a map where they live or what Island is Luzon, Cebu, Mindanao etc.

• Like 2