6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Those are a dying breed!  Now it is:

guns-replaced-with-selfie-sticks-26.jpg

You mean AK with a selfie stick and cell phone?:hystery:

• Haha 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

I am not a big fan of all the new technology around us but when it comes to photography, I must admit that I love it. I see no reason at all to do it analog today unless you find great joy in developing the film by yourself. If you ask me, I say that you can get the same look from digital as you can from film, it´s only a matter of how good you are at using the editing software. It´s amazing what you can do today with that, if you learn how to use it to the full extent. However, that is the tricky part because I find many of them not very easy to use, atleast not for me :biggrin: 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have 100s of old film pictures from the my family and I do get them out to look at, there are the old school pictures ( I am sure my mum did not send us to school looking like that), but many pictures are faded and grubby, I have taken a picture of them on my phone then into the computer for safe keeping plus sending copies to many members of the family.

To me a picture is your history and memories of all you have done ,plus the more you get into taking pictures you see so much more then you ever did before.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

However, that is the tricky part because I find many of them not very easy to use, atleast not for me

Yes, the advanced software like Photoshop are complicated, and they cost a lot.  So far I get by with the simple photo editors but I have been tempted to buy Photoshop.  I think that is still considered the state of the art by pros.

Coincidence, today I was talking to the guy whose team did our wedding video and photography.  His daughter goes to pre-school with my young daugthers.  He no longer does actual weddings but has a new business of wedding editing only, and his photographer clients are in the U.S.  Basically outsourcing of the editing.  They e-mail him the photos and videos, and he does the final packages.  He must be doing well because he can afford to send his daughter to our private school. 

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, those are amazing for outdoor landscapes, but sometimes faces don't look natural.  I think portrait photography is where film excels.

I agree but in a studio with lights and every other gadget going, 

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, the advanced software like Photoshop are complicated, and they cost a lot.  So far I get by with the simple photo editors but I have been tempted to buy Photoshop.  I think that is still considered the state of the art by pros.

Coincidence, today I was talking to the guy whose team did our wedding video and photography.  His daughter goes to pre-school with my young daugthers.  He no longer does actual weddings but has a new business of wedding editing only, and his photographer clients are in the U.S.  Basically outsourcing of the editing.  They e-mail him the photos and videos, and he does the final packages.  He must be doing well because he can afford to send his daughter to our private school. 

Photoshop is amazing but it’s not real , I have a friend and his pictures sell for good money, he puts them onto canvas and are edited so much that he must be in the right place at the right time for that best picture but some people want that.

I have a few free programs I use just add a little extra colour here and there or change to black and white and so on, I think photoshop works out at 650 peso a month or £10 , I did buy a program once and it was good but if you did not use it for a few months you forgot how it work.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I enjoy photography but I'm not a fan of having a large DSLR hanging around my neck in the Philippines... even at family gatherings it tends to make one the 'professional photographer' and I have no desire to become an unpaid professional photographer.

I do take it when we go away in a small group sometimes.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I enjoy photography but I'm not a fan of having a large DSLR hanging around my neck in the Philippines... even at family gatherings it tends to make one the 'professional photographer' and I have no desire to become an unpaid professional photographer.

I do take it when we go away in a small group sometimes.

Picture sir, picture sir, been there done that.

I was out walking along the beach one morning alone as Emma and the rest of the family was eating and as I was taking pictures of the sea and boats along came a group of young folk, picture sir , take our pictures , well there was a mix of girls and boys and I clicked away and yes they was happy and very very pretty in there short shorts and that was it off we all went in different directions, well I made sure all the pictures was deleted before I went back to the family, or there may have been trouble.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

You can get free software that do almost everything that Photoshop can do.

Gimp and Darktable are two of them, but you probable need to spend a few hours online reading the instructions if you want to use them in a good way.

Don´t get afraid when first looking at them and see all the functions. There is no need to use all of it but you can choose what you want and save that in your favourites. 

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Picture sir, picture sir, been there done that.

I was out walking along the beach one morning alone as Emma and the rest of the family was eating and as I was taking pictures of the sea and boats along came a group of young folk, picture sir , take our pictures , well there was a mix of girls and boys and I clicked away and yes they was happy and very very pretty in there short shorts and that was it off we all went in different directions, well I made sure all the pictures was deleted before I went back to the family, or there may have been trouble.

I had a similar experience once at Alona beach. I was walking along the beach in only my swimwear and met a  Philippine couple who also had a morning-walk. The lady was EXTREMLY attractive and to my surprise she asked if it was okey if her boyfriend could snap some pics of her and me? I said nope, just kidding :tongue:. I accepted and a few seconds later her arms were around my neck and she was posing like a pro model, me not soo much, lol. When it was finished a few minutes later they say maraming maraming salamat po and we continued our walks.

Funny??? part of this story is when I met them again a couple of days later. They were so happy for the pics they got the last time so they asked if they could get some more? Sure, why not I replied. Problem was that now it was the attractive woman that took the pictures and I got her boyfriends arm around my neck, not what I was hoping for :hystery:  

• Haha 4