Fresh Milk!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Don, when you say fresh you mean unpasteurized?

Edited by Old55

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Don, when you say fresh you mean unpasteurized?

No, it is not "raw", it is pasteurized and homogenized, but about as fresh as you can get!

I still chuckle when I see the boxes of ultra-pasteurized milk in the stores labeled "Fresh Milk" and it seems that most Filipinos call that "Fresh Milk".

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

Those cows seems to be very well taken care of, :thumbsup:

• Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

No, it is not "raw", it is pasteurized and homogenized, but about as fresh as you can get!

I still chuckle when I see the boxes of ultra-pasteurized milk in the stores labeled "Fresh Milk" and it seems that most Filipinos call that "Fresh Milk".

Just wondering how you know for sure that it is it is pasteurized and homogenized. Because they told you it was?:wink:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Just wondering how you know for sure that it is it is pasteurized and homogenized. Because they told you it was?:wink:

Last visit a few years back you could look in some windows at the stainless steel pasteurization equipment but they must have moved it now.  I don't think raw milk is allowed in the Philippines.  I might be wrong.  I just assume it homogenized.

milk a.jpg

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I just assume it homogenized.

Do you have to shake the milk to mix the cream back in?  If so - it is not homogenized.  If you do not need to shake it - it is homogenized.  It just breaks up the fat to make it stay integrated, so the cream does not rise.

The only "fresh" milk I have seen around here is the boxes of UHT milk ha ha (not fresh, but not bad).  S&R will occasionally have real milk, but it sits on the shelf so long it spoils unsold.  Mostly the locals use powdered milk...

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

How long does it last for before going off.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Do you have to shake the milk to mix the cream back in?  If so - it is not homogenized.  If you do not need to shake it - it is homogenized.  It just breaks up the fat to make it stay integrated, so the cream does not rise.

The only "fresh" milk I have seen around here is the boxes of UHT milk ha ha (not fresh, but not bad).  S&R will occasionally have real milk, but it sits on the shelf so long it spoils unsold.  Mostly the locals use powdered milk...

I have a habit of shaking milk before I pour it, but I don't think the cream perpetrates on this milk, so that is why I assume it is homogenized.

That California Sunshine milk at S&R is actually UHT of some sort.  Are you talking about another one?  C.G. has a long shelf life.  They refrigerate it to make it seem fresh.  I bought some a few weeks ago.  It is better tasting than most of the small boxed UHT milk.

http://www.calsunshine.com/faq.html

Almost all of the small boxed UHT milk I have tried tastes terrible to me.  The exceptions are Devondale and Nestle.  They are still far less tasty then the Karlens we have delivered.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

How long does it last for before going off.

The Baguio Dairy milk probably goes bad fast, but if you keep it really cold, milk will last a bit longer.  The Karlen's fresh milk we have delivered twice a week has guidelines on the bottle and a use by date stamped on the top, which I think is about 7 days from production.

Karlens Front.jpg  karlens back.jpg

• Like 5