PAL flight looses Starboard engine on take off

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What does "2 hours flying time" mean in terms of distance?

Approximately 1500 miles but one engine who knows.

• Hmm thinking 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mike J said:

Straight line from LAX to Philippines would be approximately 6,000 miles (Google earth my straight line)

Curved flight from LAX to Philippines would be approximately 7,290 miles (Google earth my curved line) 

Actual flight miles 7,305 miles https://www.airmilescalculator.com/distance/mnl-to-lax/

LAX to Philippines.jpg

Mike, I think you are using a start point somewhere south of New Guinea for the routes there.  Look carefully, you can see the land forms.  That's not Philippines....  

When I use Google Earth it looks like this.  Straight shot from Manila to LA goes way north of Hawaii, almost to the Aleutians, while crossing the deep ocean trenches. 

mnllax.jpg

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here is the current path of PR 103.  It may not always take this path but on this path it goes fairly close to Hawaii and Guam.  The path they choose probably depends a lot on the time of year and the jetstream.  I used to plan air cargo from LAX to Asia and if I recall correctly, U.S. winter was when we had a hard time getting cargo space because of headwinds.  That was mostly on the longer non-stop routes like LAX/SYD, LAX/SIN and LAX/MNL.  Southeast Asia starting with Philippines is more likely to not head north on the polar routes, but I think they do sometimes.

Screenshot (26).png

https://www.flightradar24.com/PAL103/22f1726d

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jimeve said:

Approximately 1500 miles but one engine who knows.

You mean 750 mph, Jim? So almost the speed of sound for a commercial jet even on multiple engines? Are you sure about that?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Mike, I think you are using a start point somewhere south of New Guinea for the routes there.  Look carefully, you can see the land forms.  That's not Philippines....  

Yikes, good thing I am not a pilot. :Caught:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Pinetree
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

At what speed?

One would think that "2 hours flying time" would vary quite a bit depending on altitude, load, remaining fuel, number or engines functioning, etc.  The "2 hours flying time" could vary enough to be an insignificant number.  Or could it?  What does "2 hours flying time" mean in terms of distance?

by most company definitions, that is 2 hours at normal cruise speed, taking into account a decent and landing at the alternate. The ETOPS  criteria for certification  are for twin engine operation at  anything over 60 minutes from an alternate airport.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 11/22/2019 at 10:03 AM, jimeve said:

I never said halfway. please read again.

Jim, I know you didn't but I wanted to shoehorn in the Irish pilot joke!  :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

All of you "experts" debating the technical issues. All I want to know is..will the plane crash and burn?:hohoho_smiley:

• Haha 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You mean 750 mph, Jim? So almost the speed of sound for a commercial jet even on multiple engines? Are you sure about that?

Dave's comment... What does "2 hours flying time" mean in terms of distance?

I said......Approximately 1500 miles but one engine who knows.  Yes i am sure.  Tommy. But at lower altitude probably be much less.

• Like 1