PAL flight looses Starboard engine on take off

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

You sound pretty condescending. Any special reason?:sad:

Sorry AK... meant as a a joke.... and in poor taste, I see... Not meant condescending...:SugarwareZ-034:

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

Sorry AK... meant as a a joke.... and in poor taste, I see... Not meant condescending...:SugarwareZ-034:

I thought you knew that I'm sensitive..I cry at night when I feel slighted..:hystery:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I thought you knew that I'm sensitive..I cry at night when I feel slighted..:hystery:

Yeah, I know... I forgot myself... Back to the garden to eat worms again... woe is me...:hystery:

• Haha 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I drove past the Lockerbie site where the jumbo blew up in the sky

It was 2 days after the incident  ,as you got closer to the town , the first thing that you noticed was the trees and bushes at an ever increasing angle 

About 150 meters from the road towards a sloping field, there were soldiers on their hands and knees sifting through the dirt ,the remains of the houses at the top of the slope had an apocalyptic look , it reminded me of a scene out of the movie terminator  this was the area where the fuel tank landed and exploded

My brother , a policeman was selected to go down as parr of the team , i wont go into details in case someone who knew someone killed reads this

So if your engine blows out and you cant reach an airfield  , kiss your butt goodbye 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

So if your engine blows out and you cant reach an airfield  , kiss your butt goodbye 

Or you could look at a "good" result instead of the extreme negative one

"In this incident a collision with a flock of geese at low altitude caused both engines of the plane to lose thrust. ... With the support of his crew and copilot he safely landed the plane on the Hudson River. The time between the loss of the engines and landing the plane was 208 seconds, just under four minutes"

• Like 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Or you could look at a "good" result instead of the extreme negative one

"In this incident a collision with a flock of geese at low altitude caused both engines of the plane to lose thrust. ... With the support of his crew and copilot he safely landed the plane on the Hudson River. The time between the loss of the engines and landing the plane was 208 seconds, just under four minutes"

Yes i watched the movie 

• 1 year later...
teatalktwo
Posted
Posted

There's a fascinating history topic related to this, for anyone interested in old airplanes.  In the 'Clipper' days of early air travel across water, they could only use flying boats because of the very real fear of not reaching the landing strip.  Juan Trippe of PanAm fame was the real visionary trailblazer, along with Howard Hughes after he acquired TWA. 

• 2 weeks later...
teatalktwo
Posted
Posted

that is 2 hours at normal cruise speed, taking into account a decent and landing at the alternate. 

teatalktwo
Posted
Posted

I could not grasp that passengers inside the terminal heard a loud boom..

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 11/22/2019 at 11:03 AM, OnMyWay said:

A lot of people, even inside the terminal, said they heard a loud explosion.  Where do you think the aircraft was when that occurred?  Still on the runway?  At LAX, the aircraft take off over the ocean 99% of the time, and it the aircraft was already over the ocean, I don't see how a loud boom would be heard back inside the terminals.  They are fairly soundproof for obvious reasons.

I dont see that in the news story. It said people on the ground which could be anyone, airport staff etc.