Chaos at NAIA Terminal 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, RBM said:

Wonder what she went through to obtain her DPED what ever it is.  Must carry some weight though.

It is the same DPED letter that Tommy's teacher GF had to get.  SIL asked for it 2-3 weeks go when her visa was approved and she had to follow up on it before she got it a few days ago.  Just in time.

As far as immigration and no interview, several things may have helped her.  She stuck with her sister and brother in the queue, she is 47 (looks younger), and we went through at about 3:45 am.

I actually had more "hassle" than she did.  I went with my family to the Philippine residents windows, then with the kids we were sent over to an empty OFW window.  I forgot to bring out my ACR card, and when he asked for it, he said I should have first gone to the Immigration Cashier to get my ECC.  I think he may have thought I was trying to slide out without paying the ECC.  I had to wait 20-30 minutes in the cashier queue to fork over my p2880, while my family waited for me after the immigration desk.

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I actually had more "hassle" than she did.  I went with my family to the Philippine residents windows, then with the kids we were sent over to an empty OFW window.  I forgot to bring out my ACR card, and when he asked for it, he said I should have first gone to the Immigration Cashier to get my ECC.  I think he may have thought I was trying to slide out without paying the ECC.  I had to wait 20-30 minutes in the cashier queue to fork over my p2880, while my family waited for me after the immigration desk.

OMW, which terminal was that? My next exit from phils will probably be my first ever exit after more than six months in the country (it will be about 10 months) so will have to get my ECC at the airport on the way out. Do you just present yourself first at the Immigration Cashier? Is its location fairly obvious? 

We usually exit via NAIA terminal 3.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

OMW, which terminal was that? My next exit from phils will probably be my first ever exit after more than six months in the country (it will be about 10 months) so will have to get my ECC at the airport on the way out. Do you just present yourself first at the Immigration Cashier? Is its location fairly obvious? 

We usually exit via NAIA terminal 3.

This was terminal 1 and yes the cashier was very visible on the right side.  I am on a 13a visa so I get the ECC-B at the airport.  For a regular ECC, you are supposed to get it ahead of time at an immigration office.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Freebie said:

You forget that you live in a country where the government doesnt treat its people as citizens but as children.  Philippines seems to be the only country Ive encountered whereby its citizens arent free to travel despite having the required paperwork.

And the reason for this is the USA . Few years back Philippines was on a Tier 3 level for Human Trafficking. US offered a large financial motivation to Philippines to reduce trafficking. So, Philippines now tell US thats its stopped 100 ladies/persons a day from travelling ( trafficked they say) and US says Hooray and gives Philippines a large wad of $$$$$. Thats the sad reality of "offloading". And no cars or complains about it. Everyone just accepts  and tolerates this nonsense with mute silence

Can you post your source(s) for your statement and conclusion that "and the reason for this is the USA"? 

Edited by Mike J
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 12/14/2019 at 9:17 AM, Freebie said:

And no cars or complains about it. Everyone just accepts  and tolerates this nonsense with mute silence

This is pretty much the case for everything here

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

This was terminal 1 and yes the cashier was very visible on the right side.  I am on a 13a visa so I get the ECC-B at the airport.  For a regular ECC, you are supposed to get it ahead of time at an immigration office.

Thanks for the clarification OnMyWay. I will do as you suggest.

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

You forget that you live in a country where the government doesnt treat its people as citizens but as children.  Philippines seems to be the only country Ive encountered whereby its citizens arent free to travel despite having the required paperwork.

And the reason for this is the USA . Few years back Philippines was on a Tier 3 level for Human Trafficking. US offered a large financial motivation to Philippines to reduce trafficking. So, Philippines now tell US thats its stopped 100 ladies/persons a day from travelling ( trafficked they say) and US says Hooray and gives Philippines a large wad of $$$$$. Thats the sad reality of "offloading". And no cars or complains about it. Everyone just accepts  and tolerates this nonsense with mute silence

Wow I did not know this.  What typical govt nonsense buffoonery.  Well, at least it helps to know the root cause even if nothing can be done about it.  As long as people tolerate being treated like sheep, then I don't see anything changing. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Wow I did not know this.  What typical govt nonsense buffoonery.  Well, at least it helps to know the root cause even if nothing can be done about it.  As long as people tolerate being treated like sheep, then I don't see anything changing. 

2 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Before we start blaming the USA, accusing the government of treating their citizens like sheep, or accusing the government of nonsense buffoonery.  Let's take a look at why the Philippine government feels this kind of "nonsense" is required.  The text pasted is just a small portion of the article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking_in_the_Philippines

<snip>Trafficking Of Filipinas to overseas destinations
There are 150,000 Filipina women that are trafficked into prostitution in Japan as reported in the July 2, 1998 issue of the Daily Star. Some of them were sold allegedly to the Yakuza for $2,400.00 to $18,000.00. A news item that appeared in the May 31, 1995 of the Manila Chronicle reports that 150 Filipinas were sold into prostitution for $5,000.00 each by international syndicates to night club operators in some African countries, particularly Nigeria.[68][unreliable source?] A trafficker earns $3,000-$5,000 for each woman or girl sold in the international sex trade.[69] 150,000 Filipina women have been trafficked into prostitution in Japan.[13]

<end snip>

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

I believe I intimated on page 1 about the human trafficking issue.  Another issue could be the tendency of Filipinos to overstay their visas in the destination country.  But I contend that minimizing these risks must not outweigh basic rights and freedoms.  We have the same overwrought thinking in the US, for example the Patriot Act.  It removes the freedoms of the majority for the sake of weeding out the minority of evil doers.  That is what I infer by govt nonsense and buffoonery.  

A proper screening method might first identify a risk category (lets say single females under 30), then have an opt-in prescreening of sorts (maybe a class), to educate these women on the risks and expectations of travel.  This is similar to one of the steps required for immigration visas to the US, for example.  Filipinas could then get a permanent stamp or whatever on their passport to avoid unnecessary questions and delays at the airport.  Buffoonery is the govt. making a one size fits all solution, putting travel plans in jeopardy without warning, and putting unnecessary decision making power into the hands of a few individuals.    

RBM
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I believe I intimated on page 1 about the human trafficking issue.  Another issue could be the tendency of Filipinos to overstay their visas in the destination country.  But I contend that minimizing these risks must not outweigh basic rights and freedoms.  We have the same overwrought thinking in the US, for example the Patriot Act.  It removes the freedoms of the majority for the sake of weeding out the minority of evil doers.  That is what I infer by govt nonsense and buffoonery.  

A proper screening method might first identify a risk category (lets say single females under 30), then have an opt-in prescreening of sorts (maybe a class), to educate these women on the risks and expectations of travel.  This is similar to one of the steps required for immigration visas to the US, for example.  Filipinas could then get a permanent stamp or whatever on their passport to avoid unnecessary questions and delays at the airport.  Buffoonery is the govt. making a one size fits all solution, putting travel plans in jeopardy without warning, and putting unnecessary decision making power into the hands of a few individuals.    

I could not imagine they would be able to implement what has been suggested here. Personally I do not in any way feel what they are attempting to do is wrong, to protect the people must be a  positive and first priority.

What from my experience is lacking, is how the are implementing the process, some posters have mentioned   teachers have a pre screening and sail through immigration.  Surely it cannot be to difficult to have a pre screening by ones local  immigration office before travel. Bacolod immigration ,often the office is dead quiet, this suggests it could be similar in other regional offices, heaps of time for a prescreening.

It saddened us to witness so many people loosing their flights due to the total inefficiency of staff at immigration second screening. Total waste of time, money and resources.