Ok I give in , I need a car.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I'm in the market for a car and what has caught my fancy I can't afford new. What documents etc must I receive if buying used and how do I go about registration etc.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

It is quite an involved process. I actually got my lawyer to handle the transfer of title as it wasn't at all straightforward. The person I bought the car from was the second owner who hadn't registered it in her name. All the docs were still in the name of the original owner. It required a deed of sale, both from the original owner to the second owner, and a second deed of sale from the second owner to me! Also an original copy of her marriage certificate for some reason that I cannot now remember.  It also had to have a PNP check to confirm it wasn't stolen. Also, as it was registered in Bacolod and I live in CDO it required an official transfer of documents from there to here. It took around a month to complete. Not at all a straightforward process! Good luck!

Both of my cars are still in the original owners name and I am the second owner.  On both we have a deed of sale and the previous owners IDs with 3 signatures.

My Trailblazer was originally purchased in Manila and as I understand it, we would have to go to Manila to get the papers changed to our name, so I haven't bothered.  I think someone can do it for you.

My Brio was bought in Pampanga so when the 3 years insurance is done in December, I might consider changing the name on it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Both of my cars are still in the original owners name and I am the second owner.  On both we have a deed of sale and the previous owners IDs with 3 signatures.

I think that working would depend upon where one was living...

In Mindanao there is still 'martial law', it doesn't really impact much except that there are fixed check points at some locations.   The first thing they ask for is license, the second is ownership paper... it would at the very least create delays each trip in and out of the cities.

We bought the Innova new but the Wigo was 3 years old and bought second hand, but we bought it from a 'dealer' who handled the transfer of ownership, it was a bit slow (about a month) but not difficult.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I think that working would depend upon where one was living...

In Mindanao there is still 'martial law', it doesn't really impact much except that there are fixed check points at some locations.   The first thing they ask for is license, the second is ownership paper... it would at the very least create delays each trip in and out of the cities.

We bought the Innova new but the Wigo was 3 years old and bought second hand, but we bought it from a 'dealer' who handled the transfer of ownership, it was a bit slow (about a month) but not difficult.

Yes I'm considering a dealer, not a main dealer. If I were to offload the registration my concern would be getting no more than empty promises.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Ok I see a car I like. Can I just drop a wedge of  cash and drive it away or do I need certain other things in place first. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Ok I see a car I like. Can I just drop a wedge of  cash and drive it away or do I need certain other things in place first. 

You need to have a signed and notarized Deed of Sale. Deed of Sale proves ownership. You also should check to make sure that the registration and liability insurance are current. Those are the basics - the rest as the previous posts noted - can take a while and is just an inconvenience. 

• Like 1

Mick
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

It is quite an involved process. I actually got my lawyer to handle the transfer of title as it wasn't at all straightforward. The person I bought the car from was the second owner who hadn't registered it in her name. All the docs were still in the name of the original owner. It required a deed of sale, both from the original owner to the second owner, and a second deed of sale from the second owner to me! Also an original copy of her marriage certificate for some reason that I cannot now remember.  It also had to have a PNP check to confirm it wasn't stolen. Also, as it was registered in Bacolod and I live in CDO it required an official transfer of documents from there to here. It took around a month to complete. Not at all a straightforward process! Good luck!

Exactly same as my purchase and I did the same, but the issue was the first owner did a runner.... He worked for Qatar airways, so the bank was actuly the owner, as he took a bank loan to buy it, it took the bank 12 months to finally provide the original paperwork ... 

RBM
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

You need to run a rego check, it's a free service, just text the plate number to.......Sorry forgot the number but somebody will know it.

Also be careful if first letter on plate is Y as means from my understanding it's registered in Mindanao and probably doggey  Also check OR, OCR  to see if there is encumbered written on them, if so run run run.

Edited by RBM

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You need to have a signed and notarized Deed of Sale. Deed of Sale proves ownership. You also should check to make sure that the registration and liability insurance are current. Those are the basics - the rest as the previous posts noted - can take a while and is just an inconvenience. 

So assuming the car was previously registered and has current third -party insurance the insurance goes with the car or must I arrange it before collection. Obviously I'll be go fully comp at the earliest opportunity.