Sign in to follow this  
Paul_QLD

Tourist with Philippines bank account?

Have been using the BPI app since my wife got an account in March. Really like it. Can use it while back in Australia to transfer money to her family in a heartbeat. Also got some investments in Phils that pay into it, so it's a win win for us.

Only downside is I cannot get an account in my name. Anyone else succeeded to get a bank a/c when only a tourists a few times per year??

Edited by Old55
Paul, I moved this great question into a new topic
  • Like 1

We have both BPI and BDO.  We tend to find the BDO ATM machines more plentiful and more often working, and the branch locations nicer.  On one occasion making a large purchase for a service, BDO card was the only option other than bringing in a sack of money.  Their website seems more up to date as well, although admittedly I'm not the one who uses it. 

Edited by Marvin Boggs

1 hour ago, Paul_QLD said:

Have been using the BPI app since my wife got an account in March. Really like it. Can use it while back in Australia to transfer money to her family in a heartbeat. Also got some investments in Phils that pay into it, so it's a win win for us.

Only downside is I cannot get an account in my name. Anyone else succeeded to get a bank a/c when only a tourists a few times per year??

I've got an HSBC account in my name although I'm here on a Balikbayan.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Paul_QLD said:

Anyone else succeeded to get a bank a/c when only a tourists a few times per year??

This subject comes up every now and then and some succeed in opening an account as a tourist. I tried in a PS bank and was rejected but I know someone who opened an account easily at RCBC here in IT Park Cebu.

I have meant to do the same but have not got there yet.

• Like 1

PNB opened two accounts for me when I was still on a tourist visa - an ATM peso account and a Dollar savings account. Lots of paperwork and needed to see passport and ACR, but it happened.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Yes I opened another BPI account recently, my name an it was easy and painless. Just ACR passport proof of billing and an hour later done. Picked up ATM card 2 weeks later.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2019 at 5:06 PM, Paul_QLD said:

You might have better luck trying to get a Union bank EON account rather than BDO or BPI.