Tourist with Philippines bank account?

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted (edited)

Have been using the BPI app since my wife got an account in March. Really like it. Can use it while back in Australia to transfer money to her family in a heartbeat. Also got some investments in Phils that pay into it, so it's a win win for us.

Only downside is I cannot get an account in my name. Anyone else succeeded to get a bank a/c when only a tourists a few times per year??

Edited by Old55
Paul, I moved this great question into a new topic
  • Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have both BPI and BDO.  We tend to find the BDO ATM machines more plentiful and more often working, and the branch locations nicer.  On one occasion making a large purchase for a service, BDO card was the only option other than bringing in a sack of money.  Their website seems more up to date as well, although admittedly I'm not the one who uses it. 

Edited by Marvin Boggs

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Paul_QLD said:

Have been using the BPI app since my wife got an account in March. Really like it. Can use it while back in Australia to transfer money to her family in a heartbeat. Also got some investments in Phils that pay into it, so it's a win win for us.

Only downside is I cannot get an account in my name. Anyone else succeeded to get a bank a/c when only a tourists a few times per year??

I've got an HSBC account in my name although I'm here on a Balikbayan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Paul_QLD said:

Anyone else succeeded to get a bank a/c when only a tourists a few times per year??

This subject comes up every now and then and some succeed in opening an account as a tourist. I tried in a PS bank and was rejected but I know someone who opened an account easily at RCBC here in IT Park Cebu.

I have meant to do the same but have not got there yet.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

PNB opened two accounts for me when I was still on a tourist visa - an ATM peso account and a Dollar savings account. Lots of paperwork and needed to see passport and ACR, but it happened.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yes I opened another BPI account recently, my name an it was easy and painless. Just ACR passport proof of billing and an hour later done. Picked up ATM card 2 weeks later.

• Like 2

Howard
Posted
Posted
On 11/26/2019 at 5:06 PM, Paul_QLD said:

You might have better luck trying to get a Union bank EON account rather than BDO or BPI.  

• 3 weeks later...
Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I think it depends on the branch manager or the branch interpretation of the rules, whatever they may be. 

I was recommended BDO by several friends and family here. I first tried to open an account at one branch of BDO and was refused. I was on a regular extension of stay, had an ACR card and also my house rental contract.

I then successfully opened an account at a local BPI branch using just the same documents.

Having opened that account I was then able to open an account at a different BDO branch, again with just the same documents. 

Having accounts with both banks, I much prefer BDO. They have many more branches/ATMs where I am and their website is much better, IMHO. Also my monthly bank transfer from the UK is always credited to my BDO account the next working day.

As I said earlier, it seems bank branches have their own interpretation of the rules.

graham59
Posted
Posted
On 12/17/2019 at 11:27 AM, Huggybearman said:

I think it depends on the branch manager or the branch interpretation of the rules, whatever they may be. 

I was recommended BDO by several friends and family here. I first tried to open an account at one branch of BDO and was refused. I was on a regular extension of stay, had an ACR card and also my house rental contract.

I then successfully opened an account at a local BPI branch using just the same documents.

Having opened that account I was then able to open an account at a different BDO branch, again with just the same documents. 

Having accounts with both banks, I much prefer BDO. They have many more branches/ATMs where I am and their website is much better, IMHO. Also my monthly bank transfer from the UK is always credited to my BDO account the next working day.

As I said earlier, it seems bank branches have their own interpretation of the rules.

Can you recall what international banking details (IBAN, etc) were correct for BDO....and were actually EFFECTIVE ? Any other tips, regarding bank transfer from UK to BDO ?

I tried to have my UK State Pension paid directly into my wife's BDO account last year.... and the bank sent it back ! 

Really I'd like to give it another go... but nervous at the prospect.   

Clermont
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

I tried to have my UK State Pension paid directly into my wife's BDO account last year.... and the bank sent it back ! 

I looked into doing the same thing but Australia wont entertain the idea if both names aren't on the bank account, maybe your country might have the same rules, some silly notion about some-one trying to rip them off. :whistling: Also looked into opening an account over their, no go if you haven't an ACR card, but others report they have opened an account, :whatever: Arr well looks like I'll just have to be nice to the wife. :hystery:

• Like 1