Huge drug bust

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

These numbers, both quantity of shabu and the dollar amount, are absolutely staggering.  

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/11/28/police-seize-p2-5-billion-shabu-in-makati-drug-bust/

Police anti-illegal drugs operatives seized on Tuesday night at least 371 kilos of shabu worth P2.5 billion following a drug bust in Makati City.

The seizure, which also resulted in the arrest of a Chinese national, is considered the “biggest” since the government intensified its anti-illegal drugs drive made by the National Police-Drug Enforcement Group (DEG) under Col. Romeo Caramat Jr.

The DEG personnel carried out the buy bust wherein they arrested Liu Chao at his apartment along Banuyo Street, Barangay San Antonio, Makati City, at around 11: 45 p.m.

PNP Officer in Charge Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa said that prior to the operation, the PNP had managed to conduct several test buys against the suspect, whom he described as a “warehouse keeper” for a drug syndicate.

“He was the source of drugs for other couriers,” Gamboa said.

The PNP officer in charge said that during the operation on Tuesday night, Liu sensed that he was transacting with a policeman posing as a buyer, prompting him to run inside his apartment.

When the team of policemen followed him inside his apartment, they discovered large volume of drugs, some of which were stuffed in suitcases.

The PNP-DEG arrested three more suspects several hours later in Las Piñas City in the follow-up operations.

Joel B. Bustamante and Merwin B. Bustamante, both residing at Tinajeros in Malabon City, were arrested at a parking lot located along C-5 Extension, Barangay Manuyo, Las Piñas City.

The two, who were reported couriers of Liu, yielded 17 plastic packs of suspected shabu with a total weight of more, or less 17 kilos, worth P115.6 million.

“Recovered pieces of evidence and the arrested suspects are now under the custody of PNP-DEG while complaint is being prepared for filing at the prosecutor office,” the PNP said.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

This is another one of those crimes where I do not mind the criminal justice system being slow.  I hope all those waiting for their trial enjoy the comforts offered by the prison/jail systems.  Likewise, hopefully once convicted they will have even a much longer time to enjoy the same hospitality they experienced while waiting.:Caught:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Impressive. 

I will be even more impressed when some of the 'drug lords' themselves are arrested. 

Knowing how things 'work' in this country...won't be holding my breath.

• Like 5

Freebie
Posted
Posted

But there are no photos of the guy ( and they are never shy to show defendants ) and no photos of this huge drug haul....This " should" be a big deal for all media outlets but in todays Inquirer theres nothing about this.. Maybe hes already been released lol ???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

They got the guy with the drugs. Will they get the long line of Customs agents who enabled the smuggling of that much shabu?

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

New Your Times covered the story too.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, graham59 said:

Impressive. 

I will be even more impressed when some of the 'drug lords' themselves are arrested. 

Knowing how things 'work' in this country...won't be holding my breath.

I don't think the Top Dogs will ever be arrested. They are too high in the echelon of government service to be touched. When someone is jailed that might spill the beans they are eliminated. Or assassinated before the get a chance to testify. Sad but true!:shades: 

• Like 4

Viking
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, intrepid said:

This is another one of those crimes where I do not mind the criminal justice system being slow.  I hope all those waiting for their trial enjoy the comforts offered by the prison/jail systems.  Likewise, hopefully once convicted they will have even a much longer time to enjoy the same hospitality they experienced while waiting.:Caught:

I find it hard to agree with this. Don´t misunderstand me, I have nothing against that criminals get a hard time behind bars BUT before the trial is done, nobody is a criminal. Once they are convicted, I agree with you 100%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

I find it hard to agree with this. Don´t misunderstand me, I have nothing against that criminals get a hard time behind bars BUT before the trial is done, nobody is a criminal. Once they are convicted, I agree with you 100%

That's the difference between having to prove your not a criminal and them proving you are a criminal. Not everywhere has a nice cosy western legal system.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gary D said:

That's the difference between having to prove your not a criminal and them proving you are a criminal. Not everywhere has a nice cosy western legal system.

You should be treated in a decent way until the trial is done, regardless if you or them should prove if you are a criminal or not.

The second part of your reply is very true. The western legal system is certainly not perfect but I much prefer it, compared to the Philippine one (and many others). That is probably what scares me the most about living in Philippines :unsure:

• Like 3
  • I'm Confused 1