Typhoon Kammuri

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I think the forest was overdue to have some trees fall.  We haven't had a strong wind since Glenda came through in 2014, so there were some weak trees ready to go.  The wind was not super strong.  Subic Enerzone actually has crews trim around the power lines quite often, but when a big tree falls, not much they can do.

OMW... I believe that Nature has her own way to deal with things and dropping old, worn-out trees is one of those things. Very glad you are safe and only suffered relatively mild inconvenience!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, intrepid said:

Kinda refreshing and a beautiful day today!  Best of all no power loss for us.  Hope others faired as well too.

Glad you fared well, Intrepid! I have weathered five cyclones/hurricanes on board a yacht. They generally suck... Be glad you are safe and sound and good on ya!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

OMW... I believe that Nature has her own way to deal with things and dropping old, worn-out trees is one of those things. Very glad you are safe and only suffered relatively mild inconvenience!

There are some huge, tall trees in Subic Bay Freeport and we live in the jungle.  Termites take their toll and some are going to crash sooner or later.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

There are some huge, tall trees in Subic Bay Freeport and we live in the jungle.  Termites take their toll and some are going to crash sooner or later.

If us, humans, give Nature a chance, she can take care of most anything, agreed? So termites, old trees, storms... if is so, natural, but not always tolerated by us know--it-all humans...

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Glad you fared well, Intrepid! I have weathered five cyclones/hurricanes on board a yacht. They generally suck... Be glad you are safe and sound and good on ya!

I've never experience a cyclone or hurricane on the water.  However, I have been caught in some pretty violent thunderstorms off the East Coast and Chesapeake.  These days as I get older and not as good balance, I prefer my feet on the ground at those times now.:tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, intrepid said:

I've never experience a cyclone or hurricane on the water. 

Just trust me on this... You don't!

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Just trust me on this... You don't!

I could imagine the sheer terror of triple mast height swells or waves thrashing your yacht around like a cork in the mountains of turbulent waters.  Did you also have a manual bilge pump, just in case? 
My only experience in the navy was a fleet emergency pull out from Subic, as a super typhoon was approaching the area (around 1978).  The first ship that was over the horizon was CVN-65, USS ENTERPRISE, while the rest of the fleet were popping boiler plates just trying to keep up.  

Other than that, I usually sleep like a baby, making sure I was securely strapped to my rack.  

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Jake said:

I could imagine the sheer terror of triple mast height swells or waves thrashing your yacht around like a cork in the mountains of turbulent waters.  Did you also have a manual bilge pump, just in case? 

Oh yeah. One of the worst was a T. C. in Fiji - Cat. 3 that went directly overhead. I watched the barometer drop 1 millibar every fifteen minutes. We had a standard bilge pump, a "crash" pump (two pumps booked together to pump out a 3" hose tossed overboard) and a manual pump, plus several buckets...

SV Toucan Niuatoputapu 6-13-97.jpg

A friend took this photo of our yacht during Cyclone Kelly in 1997. We were anchored in the lee of a small island in Tonga. The waves were breaking over the bow and coming from only 150 meters from shore. This was a mild T. C. - "only" 85 knots at this time - the peak of the storm...

The worst was that T. C. Amy, a Cat. III storm that went directly overhead and sported sustained winds of over 125 knots.... We were anchored in a protected bay, but were concerned that our three anchors might not hold in the incredible wind. Afterwards, the land ashore looked like a nuke had gone off with no leaves on trees, many trees knocked flat. Our yacht had many small to tiny bits of leaves and sticks jammed in every possible crevice on deck... And, yeah, I did drink a bit of rum to help settle frayed nerves...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

So has this typhoon finished now , as of yesterday we did have a good downpour for awhile or was that just a passing shower.