Health Insurance for Expat Retiree in the Philippines

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted

I am checking on Health insurance that would be available for Expats residing in the Phils.From what I am seeing their are possibilities such as Pacific Cross,Cigna Global and Philhealth.I am 67 in good health but have had past health problems.I know some Health ins. companies will not insure individuals with pre-existing conditions.What has been your experience with any of these companies or would you recommend something better.My Medicare ins /supplemental policy/Rx ins. is $300.00 USD.per month here in the USA.Its really a bargain and well implemented by the Gov. - as has been my experience.It also paid paid the bill for my untimely  hospital visit :sad: while In Iloilo city this past August.It would be great to get similar Insurance in the Phils when I relocate their in 2020.I will keep my USA. policy in force until my new policy is selected and in effect. :thumbsup:  .Any comments and or advice is greatly appreciated....      Happiness and good health to ALL in the Philippines !       Ice Patrol       :cheersty:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Your plan A, B and Rx plan is $300? Good value. My estimated cost will be ~$450.00 a month. It's a basic program to what my employer provides now. Blue Cross Franciscan it will cover me while in Philippines.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Ice Patrol said:

I am checking on Health insurance that would be available for Expats residing in the Phils

Here is a suggestion, but might not be feasible in your case. 

Background:::: During my daily walks I have stopped by three local hospitals, 2 private and 1 public. None of them accept my health plan (Tri care). For normal health needs we need to travel about 30-45 minutes to a hospital that does.

Suggestion:::If you know the area where you are relocating you should be able to use google maps and google info to find local hospitals and ask them which health care plans they accept and make your decision on that info. :thumbsup:

We have accepted that in case of emergency we either die on the way to our hospital or just pay cash at the local ER and fight with the insurance company later :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Your plan A, B and Rx plan is $300? Good value. My estimated cost will be ~$450.00 a month. It's a basic program to what my employer provides now. Blue Cross Franciscan it will cover me while in Philippines.

Let it be known that my medicare plans only provide for basic vision needs and no dental...Although it does cover in full  vision and dental if I should suffer a physical trauma - such as being in a car crash for example.Sadly, many of the large companies have greatly reduced their health benefit programs due to skyrocketing cost.But you probably have excellent coverage with your employer.....

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Ice Patrol said:

no dental

IMHO dental should be the least of your worries. An example an extraction is 400 pesos (8 dollars) and full dentures, upper and lower was 10k pesos......about 500 dollars. 

• Like 5

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Here is a suggestion, but might not be feasible in your case. 

Background:::: During my daily walks I have stopped by three local hospitals, 2 private and 1 public. None of them accept my health plan (Tri care). For normal health needs we need to travel about 30-45 minutes to a hospital that does.

Suggestion:::If you know the area where you are relocating you should be able to use google maps and google info to find local hospitals and ask them which health care plans they accept and make your decision on that info. :thumbsup:

We have accepted that in case of emergency we either die on the way to our hospital or just pay cash at the local ER and fight with the insurance company later :hystery:

Thanks Scott -  your suggestion makes sense and I will check into it when selecting a insurer.Thats one thing I like about medicare.It is widely accepted  in our state.And I hope you make to whatever hospital you need to visit  :thumbsup:

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, scott h said:

IMHO dental should be the least of your worries. An example an extraction is 400 pesos (8 dollars) and full dentures, upper and lower was 10k pesos......about 500 dollars. 

That is good to know.I have a dental oppointment next Tuesday for a teeth cleaning.They informed me that the charge for it would be $ 310.00 USD... :ohmy:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Ice Patrol said:

That is good to know.I have a dental oppointment next Tuesday for a teeth cleaning.They informed me that the charge for it would be $ 310.00 USD... :ohmy:

What a joke!  Is that what they bill insurance and then you have a co-pay?  Medical and dental in the U.S. has become such a scam that lines the pockets of so many doctors, dentists, insurance companies and lawyers.  It is all a game.  And many politicians participate too.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ice Patrol said:

I have procedures done in Cebu because its cheaper than here even with my not bad company insurance. I had no idea an examination and cleaning is $300 now. OUCH!!!!

Don, I agree with you 100%! It's robbery simple fact.

• Like 3

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

What a joke!  Is that what they bill insurance and then you have a co-pay?  Medical and dental in the U.S. has become such a scam that lines the pockets of so many doctors, dentists, insurance companies and lawyers.  It is all a game.  And many politicians participate too.

Actually I do not have dental insurance and I do not know anyone that does.Its not anymore affordable than health insurance.Recently I had 2 teeth capped.The charge was $2200.00 USD.And they offered a $400.00 discount for doing both at the same time.So I had them done for $1800.00.After 3 weeks one of them broke .So that tooth had to be pulled- no charge for that lol.but That was $800.00 shot to hell.Dentist generally make a lot more money than physicians because they don't have to deal with Medicare and a lot of other BS. that Healthcare segment does.One of my recent dentist owned a 75 ft. motor yacht if that tells you anything....

• Like 1