Health Insurance for Expat Retiree in the Philippines

Gary D
Posted
Posted

$310 a month for medical insurance, you Americans have too much money. I paid about $400 for 8 months of unlimited healthcare for both me and the mrs. Age is the killer of private health insurance, insurance companies done like old people because they get sick.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I use Cigna Global ( worldwide coverage excluding US ) and doesnt include dental. They have proved to be an excellent company in the past 5 years that I have used them and they have no age cut off which will become invaluable as I age.. currently mid 60s..... I pay just over  US$5000 a year.... high price but total peace of mind that I go to any doctor, any hospital if needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

BC57
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

What a joke!  Is that what they bill insurance and then you have a co-pay?  Medical and dental in the U.S. has become such a scam that lines the pockets of so many doctors, dentists, insurance companies and lawyers.  It is all a game.  And many politicians participate too.

Damn government is too afraid to take on the healthcare industry, it shouldn't be that way. It's just one big scam industry for those involved.

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Gary D said:

$310 a month for medical insurance, you Americans have too much money. I paid about $400 for 8 months of unlimited healthcare for both me and the mrs. Age is the killer of private health insurance, insurance companies done like old people because they get sick.

So true... Old people are a losing proposition for Health Ins. companies

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Ice Patrol said:

Actually I do not have dental insurance and I do not know anyone that does.Its not anymore affordable than health insurance.Recently I had 2 teeth capped.The charge was $2200.00 USD.And they offered a $400.00 discount for doing both at the same time.So I had them done for $1800.00.After 3 weeks one of them broke .So that tooth had to be pulled- no charge for that lol.but That was $800.00 shot to hell.Dentist generally make a lot more money than physicians because they don't have to deal with Medicare and a lot of other BS. that Healthcare segment does.One of my recent dentist owned a 75 ft. motor yacht if that tells you anything....

I always had dental insurance in the U.S., as part of the company benefits, and the out-of-pocket was not bad at all.  That was 2012.  My last dentist in Kentucky had a huge clinic and he did not do much actual dentistry.  He had like 5-6 chairs, always full, and assistants did most of the work.  He would just walk around chatting with everyone and once in a while step in to help or check something.  He must have been making a fortune!

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Freebie said:

I use Cigna Global ( worldwide coverage excluding US ) and doesnt include dental. They have proved to be an excellent company in the past 5 years that I have used them and they have no age cut off which will become invaluable as I age.. currently mid 60s..... I pay just over  US$5000 a year.... high price but total peace of mind that I go to any doctor, any hospital if needed.

Thankyou Freebie - Cigna is well known here in the US. . I have already been on their website and I am very interested in getting a policy quote from them.I only have 2 ongoing problems . High blood preasure and high cholesterol which are well under control with medicine.Also I had a Heart procedure ( not surgery )done 2 years back which cured my irregular heartbeat.Honestly it gave me a new lease on life.The cost? $162000.00 USD . I hope Cigna G. does not give me the boot for any of that because my health is  very good.....

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Hi @Ice.. As part of signing up to Cigna they asked about re-existing conditions to which I replied honestly, given that they are one of the few companies that dont have an upper age cut off.  Wouldnt like to be looking for new coverage when im in my 70s as I fear not many provide coverage.

• Love it 1

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Freebie said:

Hi @Ice.. As part of signing up to Cigna they asked about re-existing conditions to which I replied honestly, given that they are one of the few companies that dont have an upper age cut off.  Wouldnt like to be looking for new coverage when im in my 70s as I fear not many provide coverage.

The pre existing conditions factor was eliminated here  when Obamas Affordable Healthcare act was implemented several years back .But I don't know that it helped anyone because the cost of Healthcare has doubled since then....As you say, in our latter years it may be difficult and or unaffordable to get health ins.Not good!

• 7 months later...
NIgelmac1401
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

Outside of Cigna for us UK expats is there a decent healthcare Plan, contract provider etc that can cover us over there?

I am currently under company BUPA international healthcare plane but that will change the day I retire and they are very expensive.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

SWMBO has Sunlife 

https://www.sunlife.com.ph/PH/Insurance/Health+protection?vgnLocale=en_CA

At the moment I'm stuck in Aussie and my previous cover has lapsed (no point having it here) but I'm looking at getting Caritas when I go back because it covers more hospitals in CDO than Sunlife.

https://www.caritashealthshield.com.ph/home

Also you may be able to get Phil Health (depeding upon your visa) even as a foreigner which will cover part of the cost without costing a huge amount each year.