Health Insurance for Expat Retiree in the Philippines

hk blues
Posted
Posted

A quick Google confirms £1.3 billion has been recovered from non-residents for NHS treatment over the last few years, with about £150m outstanding.

So, yes, they do indeed issue bills and, for the most part, get their money.

• Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, hk blues said:

A quick Google confirms £1.3 billion has been recovered from non-residents for NHS treatment over the last few years, with about £150m outstanding.

So, yes, they do indeed issue bills and, for the most part, get their money.

NON-residents...meaning in reality,  NON-British NON-residents , and likely through insurance payouts.  

Very different situation.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes I think thats my point so only good for that situation if you are not staying here for years.

Correct, for myself I always went back to NZ for stayed after about 8 months here, now times have changed.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I self identify as a black, transsexual, lesbian, political refugee from Boracay.

You would be the perfect emotional support animal.  Can I adopt you?  :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

NON-residents...meaning in reality,  NON-British NON-residents , and likely through insurance payouts.  

Very different situation.

So, they would apply the rules to foreigners but not UK citizens? That would be a tad racist and almost certainly land the NHS in court.

Non-residents are required to pay for treatment (assuming they're not exempt as EU citizens, for example) regardless of nationality and they do as the figures show.

I'll not be assuming I'm OK just because I'm British. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

This is the relevant legislation for Aussie expats (from the Register of Legislation web site).

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018N00059

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

This is the relevant legislation for Aussie expats (from the Register of Legislation web site).

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018N00059

The UK mostly works on residency rather than citizenship. So, a Brit living in the Philippines, for example, won't pay UK taxes but a Filipino living in the UK will.

6 months or more in the UK and you're stung for taxes but at the same time eligible for benefits. 

I'm not sure why the 3 month rule applies to healthcare rather than the normal 6 - probably to disqualify those who split their time between the UK and sunnier climes.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

So, they would apply the rules to foreigners but not UK citizens? That would be a tad racist and almost certainly land the NHS in court.

Non-residents are required to pay for treatment (assuming they're not exempt as EU citizens, for example) regardless of nationality and they do as the figures show.

I'll not be assuming I'm OK just because I'm British. 

They get the money any way they can.

Do you think the foreigners pay up front ?

As I said ...totally different situation to being a returned home Brit.

I don't need google, I have a sister and brother-in-law, both in NHS management positions.  :thumbsup:

earthdome
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It's OK. I self identify as a black, transsexual, lesbian, political refugee from Boracay. They'll be queuing up to offer me free health care and a council house. :whistling:

Yeah, for that free gender reassignment surgery. :hystery: