Health Insurance for Expat Retiree in the Philippines

Joey G
Posted
Posted
On 7/22/2020 at 9:34 PM, RBM said:

Try 1 cover, have unfortunately used them a few times, excellent back up service.

If you read their PDS it says... this policy isn't applicable if:

• "You are using this travel insurance to substitute with a private health insurance while overseas"

If they were to determine you weren't really traveling, but living overseas, they could  "refuse to pay a claim and treat the insurance contract as if it never existed."

I point this out as I knew a friend who used travel insurance for health insurance... got caught... all claims denied... so it "could" happen if you truly weren't traveling but living somewhere.

If you are a traveler... no problem. 

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Joey G said:

If you read their PDS it says... this policy isn't applicable if:

• "You are using this travel insurance to substitute with a private health insurance while overseas"

If they were to determine you weren't really traveling, but living overseas, they could  "refuse to pay a claim and treat the insurance contract as if it never existed."

I point this out as I knew a friend who used travel insurance for health insurance... got caught... all claims denied... so it "could" happen if you truly weren't traveling but living somewhere.

If you are a traveler... no problem. 

From my experience this is not correct.

Many years I used 1 cover, renewing often while over seas (no longer possible) I made a very large claim during a bad accident, at this time was absent from NZ over 1 year. They could not of been more helpful and considerate, calling every day from Aussie, fully aware I had been absent from my country  over a year.

I do not dispute what your saying how ever in my cases this difference between a traveler and and a person living some where was never questioned.

Situation now may have changed as I have not used them for almost two years.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 7/24/2020 at 6:27 PM, graham59 said:

They get the money any way they can.

Do you think the foreigners pay up front ?

As I said ...totally different situation to being a returned home Brit.

I don't need google, I have a sister and brother-in-law, both in NHS management positions.  :thumbsup:

Returning home Brits are not eligible for free NHS healthcare if they have been out of the UK for more than 3 months - this is a fact.  I'm sure your family members can confirm this. 

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Returning home Brits are not eligible for free NHS healthcare if they have been out of the UK for more than 3 months - this is a fact.  I'm sure your family members can confirm this. 

As Graham said before, Don't tell them. I have been out of the country for 2 years and returned and have had NHS surgery cost bugger all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, jimeve said:

As Graham said before, Don't tell them. I have been out of the country for 2 years and returned and have had NHS surgery cost bugger all. 

I don't doubt it Jim - but that's not really the point. That's like saying you don't need to pay for stuff in the supermarket as you can shoplift.  

Edit To Add - I'm not suggesting you were wrong to do so, Jim - I think it's a poor show that Brits who have contributed to the NHS for decades are turfed out after 3 months away.  Poor, poor show.  

Edited by hk blues

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I don't doubt it Jim - but that's not really the point. That's like saying you don't need to pay for stuff in the supermarket as you can shoplift.  

No, it's like I have paid into the system all my working life, I know I'm an expat not allowed the NHS service but I'm going to try and get what in my mind is my entitlement.

I know of another Brit who went and got a knee replacement, went straight to A&E.

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

That's like saying you don't need to pay for stuff in the supermarket as you can shoplift.  

Utter nonsense. 

Stop pontificating about something that you clearly have no knowledge of. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/25/2020 at 7:55 AM, RBM said:

Many years I used 1 cover, renewing often while over seas (no longer possible)

Looks like it is but depends on a few things like being under 64 years of age.

https://www.1cover.com.au/already-abroad-travel-insurance/

Conditions in below link

https://www.1cover.com.au/assets/1Cover-AU-Standard-PDS_20200501.pdf/

hk blues
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Utter nonsense. 

Stop pontificating about something that you clearly have no knowledge of. 

At this point I'll bow out and enjoy my 1st beer of the day. :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

No, it's like I have paid into the system all my working life, I know I'm an expat not allowed the NHS service but I'm going to try and get what in my mind is my entitlement.

I know of another Brit who went and got a knee replacement, went straight to A&E.

Yep...and I don't blame you which is pretty much what I said in my post, Jim.