Money exchange

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Exactly right Mike. We plan to off the M3 and truck later this year and get a plug-in hybrid. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

My brother in the USA was complaining about the "ridiculous" price of gas.  Makes me wonder if he will get rid of his;

Toyota sedan, GMC pickup, Corvette,  32 Ford hot rod with turbo, 32 Ford Victoria hot rod, Pickle boat with blower and a nitro tank.  I think that cover the bigger stuff.   He also say "No way in hell am I going to buy an EV" because senator Ocasio-Cortez  is driving a Tesla.  :hystery:

Your brother can't drive them all at once though!  I had to look up "pickle boat" as I had never heard that term.  :smile:

For Old55, your brother and others who can afford expensive gas, the price increases don't hurt as much.  It is the lower-middle and middle class who are hurt the most.  Some have to commute to work by car (that is just the way the U.S. is in many areas) or rely on a car to get basic necessities or take the kids to school.  And not too many can afford to buy an EV and pay higher electric bills.

When I was in Germany I had two cars including a Corvette, and the gas was expensive.  I was single and made good money.  I didn't care what the gas cost.  One Saturday night I drove to Denmark and back, at very "swift" speeds.  I filled up when I left and I think two more times that night, always with premium.  At 65 mph, that 6 speed Corvette would get over 30 mph.  At 150 mph, not quite so good.

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It is the lower-middle and middle class who are hurt the most.  Some have to commute to work by car (that is just the way the U.S. is in many areas) or rely on a car to get basic necessities or take the kids to school. 

Agreed, included are those who live only on fixed incomes such as on social security or disability. The COLA increases (when given) don’t even come close to keeping up with inflation; especially in the past year or so. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gator said:

Agreed, included are those who live only on fixed incomes such as on social security or disability.

Or the working Filipino at minimum wage who see the Jeepney fare increase.  May be only a few peso each direction but may take away a bowl of rice or piece of dried fish each day. :sad:

• Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

May be only a few peso each direction but may take away a bowl of rice or piece of dried fish each day. :sad:

That is true but on the other hand I wonder how long the Jeepney drivers can sustain the higher fuel prices without a price increase?

Our next door neighbour used to have a Jeepney (nice looking one too)... used to have.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

At least the jeepneys are able to carry a full passenger load now... and uncluttered by those seemingly useless, sweat-generating plastic dividers. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

There is a fuel subsidy paid to jeepney drivers which may help avoid having to increase fares too much. Also, they were able to increase fares when occupancy levels were reduced but now they are back up to normal the fares haven't come down so that may also help at this time.  

• Like 2