Fresh eggs

bows00
Posted
Posted

I just received my ServSafe certification in pursuit of my culinary degree.  Are the eggs properly stored at temperatures at or below 40F in accordance with FDA requirements?  I know, I know, just trying to show off what I learned.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bows00 said:

Are the eggs properly stored at temperatures at or below 40F

Does 40C work for you? :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Old55 said:

spacer.png

Suggestions? Here ya go Kid. :cheersty:

I think I will skip the eggs this morning. :tongue:

• Haha 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I think I will skip the eggs this morning. :tongue:

Give it a couple more days and you could have roast duck.

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bows00 said:

I just received my ServSafe certification in pursuit of my culinary degree.  Are the eggs properly stored at temperatures at or below 40F in accordance with FDA requirements?  I know, I know, just trying to show off what I learned.  

So I have been doing it wrong all these years? Not to diminish what you have learned, Bows, but this has been my experience:

I never refrigerate fresh eggs if they were not refrigerated at the store. I keep them at room temperature. I forget where I learned this, but the cartons just need to be inverted every four days - so 4 days right side up, 4 days upside down. I have kept eggs for several weeks this way and never been sick from them. Of course, I open them only one at a time into a small bowl just to be sure that any bad eggs won't ruin others that are okay. If in doubt, I give them the float test. Place the egg in a bowl of water. If the egg lays on its side at the bottom, it is still quite fresh. If the egg stands upright on the bottom, it is still fine to eat, but should be eaten very soon, or hard-boiled. If the egg floats to the top, it's past its prime, and not good for eating. And if the yolks explode when opened or there is any odour at all, out they go. And that rarely happens with the Jewm eggs here but does happen with some other brands.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I never refrigerate fresh eggs if they were not refrigerated at the store. I keep them at room temperature.

Eggs that have been "cleaned" need to be refrigerated.  The cleaning process removes a film that helps keep bacteria out of the egg and making it go bad. Eggs that have not been cleaned can be kept at room temperature for quite awhile.  Some countries require that eggs be cleaned prior to being sold, other countries do not allow eggs to be cleaned.  So it depends on where you live.  The safest is store eggs in the ref even if not cleaned.

• Thanks 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Eggs that have been "cleaned" need to be refrigerated.  The cleaning process removes a film that helps keep bacteria out of the egg and making it go bad. Eggs that have not been cleaned can be kept at room temperature for quite awhile.  Some countries require that eggs be cleaned prior to being sold, other countries do not allow eggs to be cleaned.  So it depends on where you live.  The safest is store eggs in the ref even if not cleaned.

In the UK eggs are not cleaned so not refrigerated Mind you the climate is a lot cooler.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I forget where I learned this, but the cartons just need to be inverted every four days - so 4 days right side up, 4 days upside down. I have kept eggs for several weeks this way and never been sick from them.

It seems there is some scientific evidence for inverting them.  But nothing that comes to mind about constantly flipping them.  The rational thing to do, according to this scientific blog, is to put the eggs in the carton with the wide end up.  You can read the article if you want to learn why they say to do this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You can read the article if you want to learn why they say to do this

That's interesting information - I never knew that. Learn something new every day!

canadamale
Posted
Posted

At work, in the kitchen eggs come in a 20 liter pail. Shelled and cooked, they are dished out in the salad bar to help yourself too. Not fresh and not very tasty but you can have as many as you want.