Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RBM

Manila Airport Immigration 9a Visa

Recommended Posts

Writing this more out of curiosity than anything.

Recently have read on different forums plus this one about people entering Mactan being grilled after doing a visa run. Friend of mine from NZ visits here for 2 months alternatively and he also  was lectured about obtaining another visa upon arrival Cebu. 

I was interested to see how the situation is when entering NIAI recently. Looking at  my passport its obvious I was spending considerable time here. Not a word from the officer  spoken, no request for outward ticket nothing....Brief smile scan stamp and done, under 1 minute.

Curious if this questioning applies just to Cebu? Hope a few others will chime in with their experiences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds suspiciously like PI is going the same way as Thailand, restricting the number of visa  exception entries and insisting on the right visa for longer stays. That is useful information for someone like me, trying to avoid the increasingly difficult visa requirements in Thailand. How long before the PI introduces compulsory health insurance for long stayers, as Thailand has just done for some visa holders who have been here for years. Not an answer to the Op of course, but I will be very interested to hear the relies to the OP's query.

Edited by Pinetree
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RBM said:

Hope a few others will chime in with their experiences.

When I arrived at NAIA 30 days ago I had no trouble with the immigration official, even though she was overworked that day.  The queue took 2 hours for me to get through, long enough that the airline removed my checked baggage from the conveyor belt and put it in storage.

I have had much more trouble in the past but that day was fine.  I have come to the conclusion that it is all about the immigration official and the mood they are in. Misery loves company and they know what buttons to push to make the travellers as miserable as they are.  In my case the official went through my papers quickly and said OK . . then as an afterthought she asked if I had a return ticket.  I showed her my exit ticket that was valid 29 days after my arrival and told her I planned to apply for an extension but I did have the exit ticket if required.  She smiled and said "Fine" and waved me off.

Why 29 days?  It makes her job easier and anything I can do to put the immigration official in a good mood is beneficial to me.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When I arrived at NAIA 30 days ago

Which terminal was that where you waited 2 hours?  What time of day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

 

I have had much more trouble in the past but that day was fine. 

This is my query, would you mind to explain at what airport the above statement applies to.

My arrival was terminal 2 at 5am It was crowded so I went to the Asia line (Kiwi) and took just a few minutes, suspect anybody could go to Asia line as they not interested.

Edited by RBM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RBM said:

Recently have read on different forums plus this one about people entering Mactan being grilled after doing a visa run. Friend of mine from NZ visits here for 2 months alternatively and he also  was lectured about obtaining another visa upon arrival Cebu. 

Yes that happened to me and a friend one time in Cebu. It was a female officer. Ticked a box on a form which said something like visa change and she suggested a 13a if married or srrv. Nothing ever happened when renewing the visa as a tourist. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Which terminal was that where you waited 2 hours?  What time of day?

 

7 hours ago, RBM said:

This is my query, would you mind to explain at what airport the above statement applies to.

Flying in on the Red Eye Philippine Airliness flight 117 that arrives in Manila at 0400 or thereabouts.  What Terminal do they arrive at?  It was late and I was tired but I think the International Philippine Airlines flights arrive at Terminal 2???  Yet this site says I arrived at Terminal 1.  It was a terminal that I had never been to before and I have been to 2 and 3 so quite likely it was Terminal 1.  It was late/early and I just cannot remember.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

 

Flying in on the Red Eye Philippine Airliness flight 117 that arrives in Manila at 0400 or thereabouts.  What Terminal do they arrive at?  It was late and I was tired but I think the International Philippine Airlines flights arrive at Terminal 2???  Yet this site says I arrived at Terminal 1.  It was a terminal that I had never been to before and I have been to 2 and 3 so quite likely it was Terminal 1.  It was late/early and I just cannot remember.

I'm glad I asked.  We are going to Auckland next week and it is on the list for Terminal 1!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It was a terminal that I had never been to before and I have been to 2 and 3 so quite likely it was Terminal 1.  It was late/early and I just cannot remember.

If it was old, somewhat dirty, a bit smelly and needing repair, you were in Terminal 1.:whistling:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

If it was old, somewhat dirty, a bit smelly and needing repair, you were in Terminal 1.:whistling:

As OP Tommy I was trying to establish if Cebu officers are more strict than Manila. Most of what i have read about people arriving requesting the visa free entrance appear to be having issues mostly in Cebu. 

  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...