The shopping has begun

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, stevewool said:

Can anyone explain about those very small toilets there are rows of them , and they look like kiddies toilets,  anyway after looking  at some more she came back to what she wanted and I said do what you want , so a toilet , sink ,wall unit and under sink storage she was happy.

Many, perhaps most, people here are most comfortable using a squat toilet.  I expect that even when converting to a flush model, the smaller toilet is familiar to them.  Also most Filipino people are of short stature and small build so do not need a large model.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, stevewool said:

So all in all it’s coming together , I wish I could get involved by doing a bit ,but it’s a different way of working here compared to what I am use too, I like to get perfection in my eyes , all I can say the way these walls went up the workers must be blind, but it’s like it everywhere you see, they will all be covered soon in cement.

Good to see your plans working out, Steve - even if only in the Philippine manner. It will likely be okay, but try to keep a close eye on the process and don't be afraid to carefully nudge the foreman or the men if you know things might be done better in a slightly different manner. At the end of our visit to the property on Saturday, the contractor (husband of the husband/wife team) told me he was pleased that we are taking an interest in their work and offering suggestions.

They have taken our advice several times regarding methods and materials we prefer. We never dictate, but rather ask questions and then offer our suggestions in the manner of questions, i.e., "Have you considered this...?" or "Are you familiar with this brand and would you be okay working with that?"  But In the long run, I have explained and they understand, we are saving hassle and possibly avoiding some mistakes that could cost us stress and the contractors money and time. The foreman, although not super good with English, understands what I explain and, L, of course, can really explain things in his language when she is with me there. L and I both get the impression that they don't always plan very far ahead and our planning is usually weeks ahead of their work. We are also careful to not criticize the work and not to point out things to the workers directly (other than expressing our gratitude for their hard work) but always through the foreman or contractors. Your arrangement might be different than ours, but diplomacy seems to get things done and done right - so far as we can observe....

Keep at it and good luck! Hope your tea bags arrive very soon!:smile:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Also most Filipino people are of short stature and small build so do not need a large model.

When I was still living on the yacht and L would come over to visit with me, it was so funny because when she would sit on the toilet, her feet were inches from the floor! However she is very western in her thoughts and actions and prefers a "standard" western toilet rather than squatters... I guess maybe I will need to put up that sign we have seen for any relatives or guests showing not to stand on the toilet seat or bowl rim?

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

When I was still living on the yacht and L would come over to visit with me, it was so funny because when she would sit on the toilet, her feet were inches from the floor! However she is very western in her thoughts and actions and prefers a "standard" western toilet rather than squatters... I guess maybe I will need to put up that sign we have seen for any relatives or guests showing not to stand on the toilet seat or bowl rim?

Love to know where to get that sign.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The biggest problem we are having is getting the forman to tell what he needs  before he needs rather than the wife getting stressed trying to source materials out of thin air.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Here are the tile designs Emma choose and the one I choose too.

IMG_20191201_140711~2.jpgIMG_20191201_140650~2.jpgIMG_20191201_142056.jpgIMG_20191201_140743.jpg

IMG_20191201_140650~2.jpg

• Like 3

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, stevewool said:

Can anyone explain about those very small toilets there are rows of them , and they look like kiddies toilets,  anyway after

Dare I say, because they are not planning to install the tank and seat?  Many house toilets are just the bowl, which you flush with a bucket of water.  

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

My angel have the same "problem" here in our apartment and she needs a stool to look through the peep-hole in the door :laugh:

• Haha 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Dare I say, because they are not planning to install the tank and seat?  Many house toilets are just the bowl, which you flush with a bucket of water.  

Was looking at some in a store earlier today, didn't realise they are specially made like that and not a toilet with the seat left off.

• Like 1