Living costs Cebu

Gary D
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

I would think that with this limited list of stated needs, the coastal strips of most island provinces outside of the larger urban concentrations would do. Your social exchanges might be limited if there are no people around you with common interests to discuss things with. Some types of men can deal with that, but most have difficulties. 

If I was a sole individual, I would get a bicycle or motorbike touring outfit kitted out and explore the west coasts of Mindoro, Panay, Parts of Negros and perhaps the Romblon Group. I've been to all these places, passing through on local buses over the years with my wife here when younger and not planted down like I am now.  

Most expats need something more, but you might be exceptional in this regard.  Good luck and keep us posted. 

With my limited experience with the Philippines is that you can never get away from people but very quickly get away from the amenities

• Like 3

Turtlheath
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Old55 said:

Without delving into your personal business to deeply It would be interesting to know how your life is living so simply. 

Thank you for the info on gap minder I did go there interesting but every single one of the families was in Manila I do not want to live in Manila I would like to live outside of a major city small little Providence area only things they had was Manila. Trying to find somewhere cheap and American friendly we have electric where I’m at here we can have Internet Melita considered a town I guess is about 10 minutes away but I would like to try somewhere different. And too old 55 what they call simple living really isn’t so simple. The only thing simple here is you don’t have a see you don’t have credit card you don’t have debit card use. Takes a little getting used to. But I do not as simple as everything is when it comes to utilities if you want water if you want electric it takes an act of Congress to get anything done here it’s ridiculous they will not explain anything to you and everything‘s on Philippine time if they say 3 PM today it could be four days from now.  And when they see a package deal it’s an empty package there’s nothing in it you still have to buy all the materials by this by that by the cement this go do this go do that. That’s why I don’t need the conveniences it’s not worth it it is not convenient . Only having fresh running water I feels important the rest can be done without

jimeve
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Turtlheath said:

Thank you for the info on gap minder I did go there interesting but every single one of the families was in Manila I do not want to live in Manila I would like to live outside of a major city small little Providence area only things they had was Manila. Trying to find somewhere cheap and American friendly we have electric where I’m at here we can have Internet Melita considered a town I guess is about 10 minutes away but I would like to try somewhere different. And too old 55 what they call simple living really isn’t so simple. The only thing simple here is you don’t have a see you don’t have credit card you don’t have debit card use. Takes a little getting used to. But I do not as simple as everything is when it comes to utilities if you want water if you want electric it takes an act of Congress to get anything done here it’s ridiculous they will not explain anything to you and everything‘s on Philippine time if they say 3 PM today it could be four days from now.  And when they see a package deal it’s an empty package there’s nothing in it you still have to buy all the materials by this by that by the cement this go do this go do that. That’s why I don’t need the conveniences it’s not worth it it is not convenient . Only having fresh running water I feels important the rest can be done without

Welcome to the Philippines.

• Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Turtlheath said:

. Only having fresh running water I feels important the rest can be done without

You're more likely to have electricity than running water. Domestic water in the Philippines is not a given.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I agree, in the provinces even middle class families tend to order water deliveries for drinking (20 litre bottles) and often for CR use and washing use (200 litre barrels) unless they’re close to town.

• Like 1

Turtlheath
Posted
Posted

Actually I have found more places here in the province where you can get water if you have electricity and electricity doesn’t run along some of the bamboo hut on the beach front along the highway but there is water

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Turtlheath said:

if they say 3 PM today it could be four days from now.

Hi Turtlheath.

I learned many years ago about timing in the tropics.

In Mexico, a common Spanish word is manana... Direct translation says, "tomorrow." In real life, that means, "not today."

In Philippines and other tropical nations, the term is Island Time. This translates directly to, "same thing as manana, but without the urgency..."

Good luck and enjoy the relaxed way of life here... not always comfortable or convenient for westerners, but it eventually, sort-of works.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 12/3/2019 at 2:45 AM, Gary D said:

Everyone here speaks english, very few understand english.

Like the Brits eh?:morning1:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Hey... I can understand and sort of speak Brit, Kiwi, 'Str'ine, also Canook and 'Merican... That's five different languages! Yet sometimes I am still not understood here...:89:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 12/7/2019 at 6:33 AM, Gerald Glatt said:

Like the Brits eh?:morning1:

Someone once told me " There is no such thing as 'American English'. There is English. And there are mistakes" . :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1