Overstay jailed

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This guy would have been better off to go to immigration and pay for the months overstayed instead of turning up at the airport. (Video in link did not work for me.) 

Perth man jailed in the Philippines claims prisoners are kept in cell for 24 hours a day

For the past five weeks, Jacob Johns Dwyer says he has been imprisoned in horrific conditions for 24 hours a day in a shared Philippines jail cell.

The 31-year-old former bricklayer from Perth used his mobile phone to show 7NEWS the living conditions at the jail, approximately 1500 km away from the capital city of Manila.

"There's no recreation, nothing like that," he said.

"They keep us confined in the cell unless you, like, bribe them.

'They keep us confined in the cell unless you, like, bribe them.'

"You have to buy your own food, you have to sort of pay the guards to do it for you."

Johns Dwyer is in jail because he overstayed his visa by seven months after meeting a woman in the Philippines.

He had gone for dental surgery, "but then I met a girl," he told 7NEWS.

While admitting he had done the wrong thing, Johns Dwyer said the prison conditions were horrific, with jail cells full of trash and no running showers.

He told 7NEWS he was detained at Zamboanga Airport, in an area the Australian government advises tourists to avoid because it is so dangerous.

Travel advice
Johns Dwyer has hired a lawyer and is hoping to be home before Christmas, although the deportation process can be lengthy.

The advice from the Australian government is to keep your visa up to date or risk being detained.

7NEWS has not been able to confirm with Philippines officials what charges the West Australian man is facing, but the Department of Foreign Affairs has confirmed it is offering assistance.

https://7news.com.au/news/wa/perth-man-jailed-in-the-philippines-claims-prisoners-are-kept-in-cell-for-24-hours-a-day-c-585362

Viking
Posted
Posted

If he had followed the rules, this would never had happened. I suppose he will not make the same "mistake" again ;)

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

Clearly not the sharpest tool in the box.  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I suspect there is more to this story than just the overstay.:89:

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Maybe this link will work?  He is quoted  as saying "this happens to 5 out of 10 foreigners here".   He supposedly post the video to his facebook account.  I don't do facebook but I am looking.  Multiple news stations in Australia have run the article.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/west-australian-man-detained-in-philippines-after-overstaying-his-visa-by-seven-months/news-story/84fbb51be0f607cf5bf5a3abab9eee0b

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It’s not rocket science to know you have to get a tourist visa extension...

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Perhaps a few more countries need to adopt the Philippines style of prison, he's obviously not impressed.

• Like 4

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Good luck, mate, now that you've sh*t-talked your jailers.  :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1