Overstay jailed

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

I think he meant corruption happens to 5/10 foreigners, not getting locked up. Sounds like there's a little more to the story:
'What happens to me happens to every five out of ten foreigners here, and they're afraid to talk about bribery and stuff,' he wrote.'I am detained for standing for truth and resisting extortion. I just want to go home.' 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7744511/Tradie-locked-Philippines-meeting-girl-overstaying-visa-shares-video-inside-cell.html

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

It could be he has no idea or ever researched the Philippines  through forums etc and thought its all no problem. Of Course now it's a big one. 

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It could be he has no idea or ever researched the Philippines  through forums etc and thought its all no problem. Of Course now it's a big one. 

It can be like that, but he can´t use that as an excuse. It is his responsibility to find out what the rules are in the place he visits. Ofcoarse no one knows everything, but finding out how long you are allowed to stay is pretty basic, he just had to look at the stamp in his passport. Stupidity is not a crime, but for sure, makes life a lot harder. 

Anyway, I hope he will be ok and on his way home soon.

Edited by Viking
spelling
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

'I am detained for standing for truth and resisting extortion. I just want to go home.' 

I would not be surprised that, in his arrogance, he demanded to leave the country without paying his overstay penalties.  Probably thought there was nothing they could do about it.  I was reading some of the comments from one of the Australian papers and he is not getting much, if any, sympathy at home.  The moron even complained that he had to shower with tabo because the plumbing was not working in the CR.  The Philippine people will tolerate ignorance, but woe to the person who disrespects them or their country, and acts like an @sshole while doing it. 

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The guy should wake up and get off whatever he is taking.  He is in a country where the President is looking for a police chief who will kill drug lords.  How much sympathy will there be for some imbecile who is not following the immigration rules for tourists?

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019/12/03/1973808/wanted-pnp-chief-who-will-kill-all-drug-lords

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I would not be surprised that, in his arrogance, he demanded to leave the country without paying his overstay penalties.  Probably thought there was nothing they could do about it.  I was reading some of the comments from one of the Australian papers and he is not getting much, if any, sympathy at home.  The moron even complained that he had to shower with tabo because the plumbing was not working in the CR.  The Philippine people will tolerate ignorance, but woe to the person who disrespects them or their country, and acts like an @sshole while doing it. 

Agree how ever suggest after a few more weeks his arrogance will vanish into feeling sorry for himself and crying all day.

I often wonder wheat would happen to these guys if they took a back door ride to Indonesia, be interesting if they went to the embassy there if help would be given.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

All these are legitimate and valid comments and concerns.

What I don't recall anyone mentioning is my old standby thought:

Having someone like this making his comments and acting a bit arrogant and self-righteous casts a bad light on foreigners in general, I think. Sure, the savvy government BI and others recognize that not all foreigners should be painted with the same brush, but it really doesn't help all of us and so many others who are guests in this country and obey the rules and regulations. It can, and may influences some of the lawmakers who are already a bit upset about the Chinese incursions?

Just my opinion...

• Like 3