Our builders

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We have 2 workers doing all our work and after watching them it amazes me how they can do everything without the so called proper tools, the proper tools that I think you should have or buy to do a job.

Years ago many made a tool you needed a float for plaster you made one and so , but watching these workers chisel concrete with a nail pushed through a piece of wood and a hammer just hitting the nail, I have chisels at home I used just the once and maybe they are rusting away in the shed.

They needed some paint brushes and rollers and a wire brush so of I went to the local store and it was like going back to Arkwrights store, they had everything but you had to ask the girl then she wrote it down then someone fetched it and then you paid the girl, also we brought some nails , not to sure how much but they was weighed out onto a scale then wrapped into a old newspaper, I remember as a kid getting things like this.

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Probably a good idea to keep a low profile when buying things.  I just got hit with ridiculous white nose tax.  I took a photo of a generator twist plug to a hardware store and asked if they had any.  The picture even had the Lazada price on it,  117 peso.  They pulled one out of a drawer and blew the dust off of it then asked for 1,100 peso. I pointed out he's robbing me so I got it for the massive discount of 1,000 peso.  

They have no idea of customer service as I buy things regularly and will now avoid the store like the plaque and inform all ex pats in the area.  He'll lose his profit in a few days I bet. 

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

We have 2 workers doing all our work and after watching them it amazes me how they can do everything without the so called proper tools, the proper tools that I think you should have or buy to do a job.

Years ago many made a tool you needed a float for plaster you made one and so , but watching these workers chisel concrete with a nail pushed through a piece of wood and a hammer just hitting the nail, I have chisels at home I used just the once and maybe they are rusting away in the shed.

They needed some paint brushes and rollers and a wire brush so of I went to the local store and it was like going back to Arkwrights store, they had everything but you had to ask the girl then she wrote it down then someone fetched it and then you paid the girl, also we brought some nails , not to sure how much but they was weighed out onto a scale then wrapped into a old newspaper, I remember as a kid getting things like this.

Labour is cheap here, so no incentive to buy relatively expensive tools to save time

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, stevewool said:

Arkwrights store

I hope you weren't talked into buying the Virility Special Mammoth Hair paint brushes from the Himalayas. At 12 quid, they're a bargain but  the bristles fall out. :smile:

• Haha 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I hope you weren't talked into buying the Virility Special Mammoth Hair paint brushes from the Himalayas. At 12 quid, they're a bargain but  the bristles fall out. :smile:

Still new but I make sure Ems and her dad do the talking and I just point and then walk away , I was not sure the 2 inch paintbrush was a artist paint brush it was that thin .

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

Still new but I make sure Ems and her dad do the talking and I just point and then walk away , I was not sure the 2 inch paintbrush was a artist paint brush it was that thin .

They are painting with a brush, our lot do everything with a small roller. What bugs me is that they don't paint the corners. Also they use gallons of thinners and everything is single use, rollers, brushes etc. 

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Gary D said:

They are painting with a brush, our lot do everything with a small roller. What bugs me is that they don't paint the corners. Also they use gallons of thinners and everything is single use, rollers, brushes etc. 

No they wanted the small brush for the corners, they have a small and a large roller too, it amazes me that back home in the local pound shop these small rollers comes in a kit about 5 rollers plus tray yes all for £1 , yes they are going in the balikbayan box too next time.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, stevewool said:

proper tools

Steve, I learned long ago that when we have stuff done, such as painting, it is worth it in the long run to buy the proper equipment and just keep it for future use. When we had our house painted we invested in a compressor. The job went much faster and the results a lot better.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

No they wanted the small brush for the corners, they have a small and a large roller too, it amazes me that back home in the local pound shop these small rollers comes in a kit about 5 rollers plus tray yes all for £1 , yes they are going in the balikbayan box too next time.

They are crap, go to a local trade center (Crown or Dulux) and ask for their cheap brushes and rollers. last 10x more than those poundland brushes. Speaking from over 40 years in the Decorating trade.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

They have no idea of customer service as I buy things regularly and will now avoid the store like the plaque and inform all ex pats in the area.  He'll lose his profit in a few days I bet. 

Snowy with risk going off topic we found a beautiful little cafe last weekend not far away, set in fruit trees stream spotless clean and run by a lovely super friendly couple. Woman owner mentioned she loved baking so we ordered a cake....Thought tad expensive at P1K how ever such a lovely couple knew it would be delicious large  and a treat.

Arrived yesterday,.....tiny, not tasty cheaply made. No thought of return business, just make a killing here an now.

• Sad 3