The only guy in the village

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just to make it clear ,  don’t look anything like him either.

• Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

But ain’t it good to talk sometimes face to face to someone who may understand where you are coming from.

There are other foreigners here who make a living out of scamming or scrounging from people who think like this.  Give them a nod or a smile and they'll be right there beside you, being your "best friend" until the pitch comes.  Vampires they are.  Show them your cross. (Click that to get the joke)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There are other foreigners here who make a living out of scamming or scrounging from people who think like this.  Give them a nod or a smile and they'll be right there beside you, being your "best friend" until the pitch comes.  Vampires they are.  Show them your cross. (Click that to get the joke)

Yes I agree, you have to be on your guard at all times, once bitten twice as shy so the saying goes.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, graham59 said:

Any particular 'church' ?

I had in mind this particular lot of pests ... :wink:

Ours were from the church named after the day they say god rested. We've had subsequent visits from that couple and also a team of Filipinas. My wife kept claiming we were busy at the moment and (I hope) they gave up.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Edited by jimeve

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well would you believe it, we went to the laundry today and who is sitting there with his young lady the bloke I saw the other day and again as I walked past his head went down so I thought ok, we put the cloths in and I sat down while Emma went to get her nails done, well as I was editing some pictures I heard another voice coming into the shop and blow me down there standing in the doorway was the other chap too, again no introduction so I just went on doing my own thing, talk about deja vu .

Anyway 2 loads of washing done and folded with the help of the pretty assistant, still no sign of Ems , yes it’s much more fun in the Philippines.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Otherwise I could have just stayed in Seattle and go the local Starbucks or other gathering place there?

Did you leave Seattle before the "Seattle Freeze" became a thing? It's a weird town now. Everyone talks about "community" and no one wants to make a friend.

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I've never been good at making friends. I'm an introvert anyway and a damned deafie besides. Fifteen years in Seattle and I only had one friend and I worked with him!

My wife is always after me to react to foreigners who give us a nod at the mall or whatever. I remind her that, in the US, I used to point out every Filipino to her in the same way and she'd get annoyed. i will say that she did become friends with a couple of them.

The other day in the Swiss Deli, there were two foreigners sitting with the foreign owner. The owner has tried chatting me up before but he's soft-spoken. Once, he was talking to me and I didn't even know it! My wife had to give me an elbow and tell me.

Anyway, one of the guys kept looking over at us and I usually would give a nod in that situation but as it happened, my hearing aid battery was slowly dying and I'd left my spares at home. So I was desperate to avoid them all. If you're reading this, Swiss Deli guys, my apologies!

If we run into you more than once around town, I usually will nod at least.

• Like 3

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Mick said:

I think you sometimes need someone on the Same wavelength

An accurate comment in my opinion, not always so easy to find.  Many different expat nationalities and cultures here that simply just don't gel. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1