Philippine students last in reading comprehension

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Did you read much as a kid?   - No, we didn't have any books

What about story books, did your Mom read to you?  - Nope, there aren't any books in Hiligaynon

But isn't Tagalog the official language?  - Yes we learned it in school too

But no one spoke it where you lived?  - No  (I can corroborate this, even when we visited Cebu, they were using English as the default between Hiligaynon and Visayan.   IDK why Tagalog doesn't seem so prevalent)

Reading does not help you plant rice, it is not encouraged, and not seen as useful.

I was talking about doing a 'take a book/leave a book' type library at our barangay hall.  All the foreigners said it was a good idea, all the locals said not to bother with it.  My wife finally said that if a kid brings home a book (even a school library book) it gets used for fire starting, in the kitchen. My wife says they never had books in their own language, she never saw her parents read, and any books that stayed in the house too long became kindling.  Welcome to the Philippines!  :tiphat:

Tagalog seems to be spoken up north. Here in Iloilo I have been told that if I cannot speak Ilonggo (Hiligaynon), just speak English - they do not speak Tagalog unless they have to.  When we visited Cebu I found it funny that my wife speaks Kinaray-a and Ilonggo, the cabbie spoke Cebuano... so they switched to English as their common language, not Tagalog.  The locals can speak it, but do not want to. Only my TV speaks Tagalog around here. 

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Reading does not help you plant rice, it is not encouraged, and not seen as useful.

I was talking about doing a 'take a book/leave a book' type library at our barangay hall.  All the foreigners said it was a good idea, all the locals said not to bother with it.  My wife finally said that if a kid brings home a book (even a school library book) it gets used for fire starting, in the kitchen. My wife says they never had books in their own language, she never saw her parents read, and any books that stayed in the house too long became kindling.  Welcome to the Philippines!  :tiphat:

Tagalog seems to be spoken up north. Here in Iloilo I have been told that if I cannot speak Ilonggo (Hiligaynon), just speak English - they do not speak Tagalog unless they have to.  When we visited Cebu I found it funny that my wife speaks Kinaray-a and Ilonggo, the cabbie spoke Cebuano... so they switched to English as their common language, not Tagalog.  The locals can speak it, but do not want to. Only my TV speaks Tagalog around here. 

Lucky my wife speaks Bisaya, Tagalog and English. So no problems unless I make her angry then she speaks her mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

The actual transition from K-10 to K-12 only happened in 2017 so I wonder if other parts of the program are also only be recently implemented.  That would help explain why there are such differences in what language is being used to teach the students.

I decided not to shut up after all... sorry Clermont...

Thanks for the clarification, Mike.

L teaches MAPEH. That can explain the variation in teaching languages? L fluently speaks 7 languages, including English and Tagalog... She could teach in any of these languages, but teaches in the one mandated by DepEd here in Davao City for her department and in her school.

As @KC813suggested, I do believe that L is truly a gifted teacher. Her heart and soul are into it. Apparently many of the newer, younger teachers are not so dedicated. L is a bit strict, but fair with students. Former students remember and like her. She has been threatened with potential cases filed against her because she was so brazen as to talk loudly to mis-behaving students. They never happened... (She was accused of striking one student, by himself and a buddy. When she confronted them both and the parents and said she would poll the class to see who supported this allegation and threatened her own case against them, they quickly backed off - because the kids were lying).

She is tired of it all due to lack of support from DepEd and the whole convoluted process of "management," obtaining permission while trying to take leave, piles of paperwork, complex requirements that change almost daily. But she continues a bit longer in order to secure a small, but hopefully steady pension in a few years.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Tommy. You are irritating people tonight. Back off. That's MY job.:rolleyes:

Yeah... I know... You are better at it than me, but I am learning?:cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah... I know... You are better at it than me, but I am learning?:cheers:

You are giving AK a run for his money, Tom! :smile:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Like Avis... we try harder!!!???:whistling:

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Don't Tom...just don't! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

I haven't read through the entire thread (and yes, my reading comprehension skills are ok), but do you think part of the reason is because the classes in the Philippines are taught in English, and for most students, English is their second language?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, bows00 said:

I haven't read through the entire thread (and yes, my reading comprehension skills are ok), but do you think part of the reason is because the classes in the Philippines are taught in English, and for most students, English is their second language?

The article does not state what language the reading test was in, but since it is comparing other countries, I would assume they were all tested in English.   I am sure many of the students in other countries also have another first language, so it is still a fair comparison of the education system (if English is supposed to be a priority). 

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

So you admit that your opinion is less important. Ok with me.:wink:

• Like 1