Not another building project

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)

Apologies for hijacking this topic, Steve, but I want to vent and cannot be bothered starting a new topic!  It is building and builder related though.

I am having some tiling done in the garden.  Basically,  I wanted a strip of tiles in the middle of a wall.  I measured it out for the tiler and told him it was 23cm in from either side, leaving 120cm for 4x30cm tiles - no cutting required.  So, the tiler has only gone and set the tiles based on 3 full tiles and a half tile either side of!  I gave up trying to explain to him why that makes no sense.   Grrrrrrrr!

Edit - He finally saw what I was getting at and has now moved them! 

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gary D said:

When they where filling the beams along the tops of the walls they just mixed it on the ground then carried it up in buckets. They had made the buckets by cutting down some blue cans, a bit like the blue cans the water comes in but thicker. Handles made by bending rebar into shape.

Yes we have a few of these ready.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

We built our 3 story house using rope and pulley. They mixed the sand,gravel and cement on the ground then put the mixture in small buckets made for such an exercise.

No problems buying pulleys and rope here:thumbsup: 

All brought today, now we are ready to get everything up on the roof, did not start it today ,when shopping for lights , we have brought for  the bathroom and bedroom .

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

On about tiles And laying them , I have noticed nearly everywhere there are tiles the seem to lay them buttered up together and no gap at all , where I am use to a gap for grouting , don’t they bother doing that here, or is it down to personal choice.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, stevewool said:

On about tiles And laying them , I have noticed nearly everywhere there are tiles the seem to lay them buttered up together and no gap at all , where I am use to a gap for grouting , don’t they bother doing that here, or is it down to personal choice.

Tell your tiler that you want it grouted, if he is any good he will know what to do Steve, if he don't, he will not be a tiler so move on mate :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Tell your tiler that you want it grouted, if he is any good he will know what to do Steve, if he don't, he will not be a tiler so move on mate :whistling:

Cheers Jack, I think seeing the grout between is better in my eyes anyway, let’s hope the boss thinks so too.:console:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, stevewool said:

It is a personal choice.  Some like grout lines while others do not.  Our tile guys have always ask before starting.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

As we left yesterday, the ceiling was being fitted in the bathroom and the lights was fitted too , all working.

These LED lights look amazing , I have never really seen these before ,if they last as long as they say jobs a good un , we have brought for the bedroom too these sort , still not sure about the living room ceiling whether to leave open or enclose it in, am I creating more work later if I leave it? Time will tell.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, stevewool said:

These LED lights look amazing , I have never really seen these before ,if they last as long as they say jobs a good un

They don't last as long as quoted, 12 months maybe a little longer.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Your build looks like it is proceeding nicely, Steve - good to see that! And thanks for sharing your experience. I am learning from it.

Perhaps you missed on the topic for our build (Building a Home in Davao City)? Anyway,  a few weeks ago the boys were pouring the second floor slab and then the roof deck slab. They took the foreman's motorcycle, mounted it in a home-made rig that held it rigid. Then they removed the tire and tube off the rear wheel and used the rear wheel as the power to pull up some wrapped steel cable with a hook on the end with bucket of cement attached - and yeah, some pulleys.

20191014_144403_resized.jpg.9eefe341530d

Definitely a third world solution, but it worked great!

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1