Not another building project

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, stevewool said:

it’s our holiday home for ever and ever .

:89: Steve if it is not a rude question, Who actually owns the Land at this time? 

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, graham59 said:

Sounds like good value to me Steve. :thumbsup:

Yes I agree too , but at the time it was a different matter sending hard earned cash for a building project where you only had a few pictures from time to time, the plans had changed so much from us taking over , but it’s all come good having Ems dad on site buying everything when needed and up to this day he’s doing the same thing running here and there ordering things and when we go around he gives us every receipt right down to a box of rivets .

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Steve if it is not a rude question, Who actually owns the Land at this time? 

Right bare with me on this one Jack, I believe as a foreigner.

The dad has the deeds for the land I have seen these and he wants myself and Emma to take them back with us to England for safe keeping , not sure why But because of what we are doing for him maybe
The land was brought by mum and dad but as the mum has died many years ago I presume that now the dad owns 50% and the 5 children owns 10% , so Jack not knowing the laws here about land titles all I know is his name is on the title deeds .

Anyone have any ideas .

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

Right bare with me on this one Jack, I believe as a foreigner.

The dad has the deeds for the land I have seen these and he wants myself and Emma to take them back with us to England for safe keeping , not sure why But because of what we are doing for him maybe
The land was brought by mum and dad but as the mum has died many years ago I presume that now the dad owns 50% and the 5 children owns 10% , so Jack not knowing the laws here about land titles all I know is his name is on the title deeds .

Anyone have any ideas .

If they bought together then it will have passed on to him, best to get this checked with the Register of Deeds or a Lawyer BUT Steve you need to read up on Philippine heredity Law for yours and Emmas own Good mate;

****** https://www.plazolaw.com/civil-law/order-of-succession-dividing-the-estate-among-heirs/****

It's a minefield Steve and I am sure that no one here wants to see you 2 get caught with your Pants down and we get to hear that you may lose what you are spending now, be vigilant mate. Land ownership is the No 1 motive for Murder.

Good Luck Steve, I am going through a similar thing with Azons Mothers land now

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

It's a minefield Steve and I am sure that no one here wants to see you 2 get caught with your Pants down and we get to hear that you may lose what you are spending now, be vigilant mate. Land ownership is the No 1 motive for Murder.

Good Luck Steve, I am going through a similar thing with Azons Mothers land now

For some reason the term 'sticky wicket' popped into my head while reading this and aware of the fact that you chaps lived in Cricket Country.  Not being quite sure of the meaning (I always thought it was the bit on top of the two posts that that was 'sticking' and hard to knock off for some reason..... l was wrong.).

I looked it up and it seems that it still is an apt metaphor for dealing with putting money into communal family property that will be subject to PI inheritance laws, since when the pitch gets wet and starts drying after a property ownership changes hands through inheritance laws, things can get quite unpredictable.

So my question is.... Can a situation like this be metaphorically called a potential sticky wicket ?.... asks an inquisitive Kano.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

For some reason the term 'sticky wicket' popped into my head while reading this and aware of the fact that you chaps lived in Cricket Country.  Not being quite sure of the meaning (I always thought it was the bit on top of the two posts that that was 'sticking' and hard to knock off for some reason..... l was wrong.).

I looked it up and it seems that it still is an apt metaphor for dealing with putting money into communal family property that will be subject to PI inheritance laws, since when the pitch gets wet and starts drying after a property ownership changes hands through inheritance laws, things can get quite unpredictable.

So my question is.... Can a situation like this be metaphorically called a potential sticky wicket ?.... asks an inquisitive Kano.

Like anything in life, things can and do change.

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Can a situation like this be metaphorically called a potential sticky wicket ?....

Yes my Friend, The Wicket is the patch of Turf or Mud where the Batsman stands to receive the ball from the Bowler and of course the other Batsman waits for the Call, Run. That becomes muddy/sticky when wet and is unstable to continue to Play so Yes the Situation I feel Steve and "Emms" are or could be on are indeed a Sticky wicket/s when Pa passes on. 

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

For me, anything Entered into without due diligence can be termed as "Sticky Wicket " or even "Skating on Thin Ice"

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

There has been lots of great advice from many members on most of my started threads and this one too, many I have acted on and everything has turned out rosey for me, some advice that I did not listen to straight  away yes may have cost me a little, but the one great advice from people was ‘ Do not invest what you are not prepared to walk away from’ , yes great advice for anyone who is thinking of investing anywhere.

The house is mine and Emma’s ‘ so the family has said’  , but the land is the families , so really the house is worthless , so that is why I am spending what I think would make it nice and comfortable for myself and Emma to live , it’s not a show off house it’s going to be comfortable.

As off the budget the first £5500 was what I put up for my wife to make a better house for her father to live in, the second amount and the third amount well that is what Emma has managed to save in her working life to Finnish of the house and if truth be told , she would love us both to live there permanently, but as of now that will not happen yet.

Now next year Ems is off to work again for a few months so she can put up a apartment so the income from that will help support her dad in later years .

The family house and lot is just that , yes as Ems keeps saying it’s ours for as long as we want , but with my years of experience with the family and there partners I do not trust anything, I have tried talking about all this to Ems but blood is thicker then water it seems, but I can’t knock her for wanting a nice life for her dad.

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

There has been lots of great advice from many members on most of my started threads and this one too, many I have acted on and everything has turned out rosey for me, some advice that I did not listen to straight  away yes may have cost me a little, but the one great advice from people was ‘ Do not invest what you are not prepared to walk away from’ , yes great advice for anyone who is thinking of investing anywhere.

The house is mine and Emma’s ‘ so the family has said’  , but the land is the families , so really the house is worthless , so that is why I am spending what I think would make it nice and comfortable for myself and Emma to live , it’s not a show off house it’s going to be comfortable.

As off the budget the first £5500 was what I put up for my wife to make a better house for her father to live in, the second amount and the third amount well that is what Emma has managed to save in her working life to Finnish of the house and if truth be told , she would love us both to live there permanently, but as of now that will not happen yet.

Now next year Ems is off to work again for a few months so she can put up a apartment so the income from that will help support her dad in later years .

The family house and lot is just that , yes as Ems keeps saying it’s ours for as long as we want , but with my years of experience with the family and there partners I do not trust anything, I have tried talking about all this to Ems but blood is thicker then water it seems, but I can’t knock her for wanting a nice life for her dad.

That's a reasonable, intelligent and realistic way to look at it.

One of my friends back in the cold land built a very large home in Cebu for his wife's father maybe 25 years ago. He was a government lawyer, his wife a non-working homemaker who raised the two sons with him and they lived modestly for the duration of his work life. His wife would come back to visit her family who all lived in the house. In later years, with her ill and aging father, she would often stay months at a time...

The point being that despite the large monetary investment, it was worth it to them as a couple to have her dad taken care of by the family. He only came over here once or twice in that quarter century and has no intent of retiring here. but it made his wife happy. His sons will never live here, so despite it being in her and their names, if he predeceases her and she leaves their sons to live their lives in the USA, while she returns here to live out her years, the extended family will use it as a family home. It was a major investment for him, but worth it in terms of his wife's happiness and their marital well-being. 

In retirement, he continues to live modestly, and she enjoys the big house and the relatives, kow-towing to her when she comes for extended stays. Maybe because he and her pay the utilities, etc. Ha-ha.

I assume its a quite common practice for most overseas Filipinas. Most of the ones married to my USA friends seem obsessed with building a house for their parents when they engage in a first world economy. After that, comes funding education for other relatives and medical needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1