Not another building project

stevewool
Posted
Posted

When you are having the house built with the plans that was drawn up, but change the design half way through you may end up with lots of metal work sticking out of the building for years to come or until you maybe want to start a extension.

These bars can they just be cut back to the wall if you know you will never build again, we have quite a few all down one side ready for a double extension, but these bars are twisted and rusting and the water from these trickle into the walls , some bars are thick from the framework the others are thinner for the slab , I am wanting to put some sort of carport to the side of the house but not a concrete slab , so the bars in my mind are doing nothing in fact they will be in the way, so as they are not part of any future building work it should be fine to cut these off ??

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

When you are having the house built with the plans that was drawn up, but change the design half way through you may end up with lots of metal work sticking out of the building for years to come or until you maybe want to start a extension.

These bars can they just be cut back to the wall if you know you will never build again, we have quite a few all down one side ready for a double extension, but these bars are twisted and rusting and the water from these trickle into the walls , some bars are thick from the framework the others are thinner for the slab , I am wanting to put some sort of carport to the side of the house but not a concrete slab , so the bars in my mind are doing nothing in fact they will be in the way, so as they are not part of any future building work it should be fine to cut these off ??

Personally, I don't like to see the rebar sticking out of buildings - it leaves the place looking in a permanent unfinished state.  If you're going to extend, fair enough, if not I'd cut them off and finish the walls.  In some countries, they leave the rebar because there are some tax implications for finished v unfinished properties - I'm not sure about here though.  

stevewool
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

In some countries, they leave the rebar because there are some tax implications for finished v unfinished properties - I'm not sure about here though.  

Yes it does look ugly, but I shall ask the dad about any tax implications , did not think of that one at all, Thanks

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I was in Peru this time last year and the whole place is unfinished for this exact reason.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Not much to report about the build , the bathroom walls are finished now it’s the start of the floor, it’s been raised and I think it’s ready for the tiles , the bedroom has nearly all been smoothed so that should be ready for paint and floor tiles , one of the biggest things it the roof terrace  has been cleaned and ready for the new layer of concrete and sealant .

I have been asking around for a price for windowing door bars and plus a carport for the side of the house, this was coming up blank so I tried on Facebook sales , and I have had 3 replies so far the first was way to much just for the carport , but ones come back with a price for everything fitted which is what I thought it would cost , so they are coming to view the place and to see if it’s something they could do for the budget they said, I will hide upstairs until they have done the talking and worked out the price before I show myself , here’s to another busy week.

1A0A41AD-0245-4AF6-BAD6-42BBB4C30E14.jpegC49B7F06-81EB-46E1-8B0F-44A287C5DC59.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Not much to report about the build , the bathroom walls are finished now it’s the start of the floor, it’s been raised and I think it’s ready for the tiles , the bedroom has nearly all been smoothed so that should be ready for paint and floor tiles , one of the biggest things it the roof terrace  has been cleaned and ready for the new layer of concrete and sealant .

I have been asking around for a price for windowing door bars and plus a carport for the side of the house, this was coming up blank so I tried on Facebook sales , and I have had 3 replies so far the first was way to much just for the carport , but ones come back with a price for everything fitted which is what I thought it would cost , so they are coming to view the place and to see if it’s something they could do for the budget they said, I will hide upstairs until they have done the talking and worked out the price before I show myself , here’s to another busy week.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3dca690cb0bbc913imageproxy.php?img=&key=3dca690cb0bbc913imageproxy.php?img=&key=3dca690cb0bbc9131A0A41AD-0245-4AF6-BAD6-42BBB4C30E14.jpegC49B7F06-81EB-46E1-8B0F-44A287C5DC59.jpeg

:whistling: TUT TUT steve, A Photographer that did not Rotate his Photos before Posting, Bad Steve Bad as my Coffee just fell of the PC Table when I tried turn the PC to view your hard Work :hystery: Just pulling your leg Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

Not much to report about the build , the bathroom walls are finished now it’s the start of the floor, it’s been raised and I think it’s ready for the tiles ,

If you don't mind, could you keep the price on the tiling of the bathroom, please. I just need a rough quote. :thumbsup:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Clermont said:

If you don't mind, could you keep the price on the tiling of the bathroom, please. I just need a rough quote. :thumbsup:

Sorry , we have the chaps in 6 days a week doing all the house from plastering the walls ( sort off) the roof , tiling the bathroom and all the flooring and fixing in false ceilings in the rooms , if it helps we pay 700 peso per person per day.

• Thanks 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
On 12/14/2019 at 2:11 PM, stevewool said:

...... but the one great advice from people was ‘ Do not invest what you are not prepared to walk away from’ 

The house is mine and Emma’s ‘ so the family has said’  , but the land is the families , so really the house is worthless 

Now next year Ems is off to work again for a few months so she can put up a apartment so the income from that will help support her dad in later years .

The family house and lot is just that , yes as Ems keeps saying it’s ours for as long as we want , but with my years of experience with the family and there partners I do not trust anything, I have tried talking about all this to Ems but blood is thicker then water it seems, but I can’t knock her for wanting a nice life for her dad.

I am guessing that that the apartment will be constructed on the same land as your house?

Steve, my gut feeling is that you are storing up a heap of trouble for yourself and Ems in the future. You are making that piece of land more attractive, and valuable, to the 'family' as time goes on.

Be careful all this investment doesn't come back to haunt you! 

• Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well the bathroom has been filled with water to make sure there are no leaks   1st day loads of leaks but today it’s  seems to have sealed itself , so soon be ready to get the floor tiled, they have started to tile the rest of the rooms, they started at the top of the stairs and then into the bedroom so the pattern can stay the same, it’s coming on.

They have said they want to try to get the bedroom and bathroom done by Christmas so we can move in before our rent for the apartment runs out, I doubt it but who knows.

Also the old stuff from the roof has all been taken off and it’s all clean ready for the next stage 

3D808214-1FC1-4657-B461-C0A7B6AC1BA1.jpegA5F61DC7-0534-4DB4-97A3-88249878D61C.jpeg84FB5642-3126-4FA8-A837-B7DB4E3368CA.jpegB1D21573-B201-4760-961A-006400F3FBBC.jpeg

• Like 2