Not another building project

stevewool
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Steve mate.... for p175, 000, I'd expect to have a small house included with the carport.  :biggrin:

This is it, we all have a figure in our minds what it may cost , and like you have said I have costed it except for the screws or rivets , I have mentioned it to the workers we have and they seemed interested in doing it .

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Ok mate.  Just don't get your leg lifted, eh.

A few quick materials prices and figures added up on paper, will give you a good idea of where the 'ballpark' needs to be. :wink:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Let's not forget that getting a few guys to build something is different to getting a 'proper' contractor to do the same job - we know how that works in the UK so same story here. I'd take Jim's price and multiply x 1.5 or even double it for a contractor - so even 35k sounds a tad high. 

Example - I can get a handyman to fit an electric outlet for 250-300 pesos but I'd prefer to pay an electrician 500+ to do the job. Will they both do a similar job - probably. But...

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Slight difference between putting up 4 or 6 posts , along with a few joists and roofing sheets... and a possibly life-threatening electrical installation. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, graham59 said:

Slight difference between putting up 4 or 6 posts , along with a few joists and roofing sheets... and a possibly life-threatening electrical installation. 

Agree completely.  I have done a lot of remodeling over the years.  When it came to electric I almost always called in a pro.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, graham59 said:

Yes...which is why I said I'd pay the electrician the higher rate. 

Regardless, a sub-standard installation of ANY structure can be at least a risk to property and at worst life threatening wouldn't you agree?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Mike J said:

Agree completely.  I have done a lot of remodeling over the years.  When it came to electric I almost always called in a pro.

Only almost always? I'd go for the pro 100% when it comes to electrical installations.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

First cock up in the house build , just when you think it’s all going great, bedroom and bathroom just about done other then to vanish the doors plus the fitting of the rain shower head that Ems wanted ,well today we went to see if these had been done as it’s only 2 more days until we move in.

Great they are done , yes the door vanish needs to be done again but I can and will do that and the shower looks great, hang about what’s that, stupid stupid stupid, a simple thing that you forget, where is the valve to turn the shower on , it’s fitted on the metal shower head and it’s blue and red , we forgot to fit a valve to the pipe that is buried in the wall behind the tiles , now do we take a few tiles off and cut out the concrete to get to the pipe and fit a on and off valve , or say sod all this and get a flexible shower hose from the tap and a new shower head.

The problem is it’s got to look right so it’s let’s see about this tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Yes...which is why I said I'd pay the electrician the higher rate. 

Regardless, a sub-standard installation of ANY structure can be at least a risk to property and at worst life threatening wouldn't you agree?

Obviously it's a matter of degree.  :whatever:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, stevewool said:

First cock up in the house build , just when you think it’s all going great, bedroom and bathroom just about done other then to vanish the doors plus the fitting of the rain shower head that Ems wanted ,well today we went to see if these had been done as it’s only 2 more days until we move in.

Great they are done , yes the door vanish needs to be done again but I can and will do that and the shower looks great, hang about what’s that, stupid stupid stupid, a simple thing that you forget, where is the valve to turn the shower on , it’s fitted on the metal shower head and it’s blue and red , we forgot to fit a valve to the pipe that is buried in the wall behind the tiles , now do we take a few tiles off and cut out the concrete to get to the pipe and fit a on and off valve , or say sod all this and get a flexible shower hose from the tap and a new shower head.

The problem is it’s got to look right so it’s let’s see about this tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

Steve... If it were me, I would fix the problem properly now while you still have tiles available and the guys who did the work. They should remember how the pipes fit in the walls so easy to find. Yeah...it's a hassle.

My thinking, too, is that, if you fit a proper valve there, you can always, easily service or replace the shower head assembly without having to shut off the entire house supply. While you are at it, have you considered installing a tap down low for filling buckets for general washing? Just some ideas for you...:89:

• Like 5