Jump to content

Recommended Posts

 Walking around the shops and down the streets it’s amazing how many people look at you, sometimes it’s embarrassing but most of the time I just smile back, the kids are the best, they look at you and start laughing between themselves and once you acknowledge them with a thumbs up that’s it, you’ve made a friend for life, but you can get that look from some folk where you think , he’s a angry bloke or is it because he’s  not got his teeth in.

Anyway yesterday walking back Ems decided she wanted a balut 2 in fact, so as we approached the seller on the street corner there was a few men sitting around talking then suddenly a few gets up and starts saying to Ems ‘ he is gwapo ‘, then it was a chat between us all in broken English, they was asking me do I know any Tagalog, a little I said and a few swear words , I don’t think it would have gone down well saying those to my new found strangers.

So that’s twice I have heard gwapo said about me, yesterday’s blokes and a old lady in the wet market , says a lot about me don’t it.

  • Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been called gwapo on multiple occasions.  But the compliment that I will remember forever came from a man who said; "You have kano skin but a Filipino's heart.  You are gwapo inside," and he patted his chest.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kids round my place shout..... Give me money..... I say, Wala kwarta dong.

  • Like 4
  • Love it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's this constant "oh, how gwapo he is ! " (My 4 year-old), from assorted beautiful young ladies.:wub:

Then... "Can you give me one like that ?"    :unsure:      :56da632e94212_1(60):   :shooter:   :dreams:    :laugh:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2019 at 8:21 AM, stevewool said:

So that’s twice I have heard gwapo said about me, yesterday’s blokes and a old lady in the wet market , says a lot about me don’t it.

Maybe you made the old lady in the wet market wet! Don't get too conceited! :rolleyes:

Edited by Arizona Kid
mispell
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2019 at 9:14 AM, jimeve said:

Kids round my place shout..... Give me money..... I say, Wala kwarta dong.

That's good I usually yell  patawad  during the caroling nightmares.:no:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

That's good I usually yell  patawad  during the caroling nightmares.:no:

Jack. I still give the carolers coins as I'm sure you probably do also. I just don't give to the kids that come around Dec. 1st. expecting coins for their lame attempts to sound xmasy early. Closer to the 25th they get plenty of coins. They still sound lame but I give them the money because I remember what it's like to be a kid.:laugh:  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its the perceived, and often mis-perceived, imaginary radiance from the invisible auras of wealth, power, prestige that makes foreigners 'guapo' here......  I mean, older gents are never given such compliments where I've been unless their much greater wealth or status is on exhibit.  e.g, expensive autos, clothing and jewelry.

My long time friend loves living here in the winter, since he's a man of modest and limited means, but confesses to bathing in the attention he gets from young women here.  Little do they know, and much do they assume. He's a decent looking guy for his 71 years and moves spryly, but dressed in ripped jean shorts, with white socks and sandals and good-will T-shirts, he sure isn't a fraction as handsome as the majority or young Filipino lads I see everywhere.... who never get much notice from the local damsels.

So I think that 'guapo' here means........ well it doesn't always mean physically handsome.  Maybe desirable to have as a boyfriend who can indulge and dote on your economic fantasy dreams, hopes and aspirations.

:56fdd33e91832_santalaugh:      But then again, what the hell do I know. I'm not a Pinay. 

  • Like 4
  • Love it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I think its the perceived, and often mis-perceived, imaginary radiance from the invisible auras of wealth, power, prestige that makes foreigners 'guapo' here......  I mean, older gents are never given such compliments where I've been unless their much greater wealth or status is on exhibit.  e.g, expensive autos, clothing and jewelry.

My long time friend loves living here in the winter, since he's a man of modest and limited means, but confesses to bathing in the attention he gets from young women here.  Little do they know, and much do they assume. He's a decent looking guy for his 71 years and moves spryly, but dressed in ripped jean shorts, with white socks and sandals and good-will T-shirts, he sure isn't a fraction as handsome as the majority or young Filipino lads I see everywhere.... who never get much notice from the local damsels.

So I think that 'guapo' here means........ well it doesn't always mean physically handsome.  Maybe desirable to have as a boyfriend who can indulge and dote on your economic fantasy dreams, hopes and aspirations.

:56fdd33e91832_santalaugh:      But then again, what the hell do I know. I'm not a Pinay. 

I couldn't agree more...either that or local women are setting the bar way too low!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I couldn't agree more...either that or local women are setting the bar way too low!  

What's ugly compared to a life of drudgery.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...