Smart TV, Best choice for quality and price

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, jimeve said:

Smart TV's are internet ready and usually have Youtube and netflix already installed on them.

What's the use? I have Youtube on my PC. Maybe I'm old fashioned.:mellow:

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, earthdome said:

If it were up to me I would just get them a nice large Full HD TV. No need for 4K UHD or Smart TV. Where they live in the province they only have satellite TV and there is no internet available. But the choice is not up to me so we likely will be purchasing a much more expensive TV than they need.

Same thing that I'm thinking. If you get the smart tv, dont' you have to pay monthly for Netflix and things like that? :89:

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

We bought a 32" Samsung TV back in 2015 at SM. It's not the smartest TV but accepts USBs and can access the internet. We used it in the living room in our rental and now use it as our main TV in the bedroom as the larger Toshiba that we shipped from the US (my wife wouldn't part with it), and hung in the living room is an older "dumb" TV.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Freebie said:

And dont forget, in every store selling TVs they ALWAYS turn up the colour settings to full... meaning sometimes the colours are unrealistically bright and not at the setting you might usually use. When buying always ask them to turn the settings from max to something approaching normal and you get a better idea of the real pic

That's how they like it here. I think there eyes are not as sensitive as us coldlanders. Definitely don't see as well in the dark.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

If you get the smart tv, dont' you have to pay monthly for Netflix and things like that? :89:

Often comes bundled with your internet package or add on.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Gary D said:

That's how they like it here. I think there eyes are not as sensitive as us coldlanders. Definitely don't see as well in the dark.

You know...  my night vision is down on what it was when I was young but I still see better when it's dark than SWMBO.

I'm wondering if it's related to pupil dilation the more you can dark adapt the larger your pupils will open, but as you get older they open less.

Thinking back to Amateur Astronomy a young person's pupils will generally open to around 7 millimeters in diameter but by middle age that will be down to 6 and even 5 as one grows older.  It's related to the magnification and light circle size of binoculars used in very dark conditions.  The light circle of a pair of 7x50mm binocs will exceed the pupil size of an older person and light will be wasted, an older person would be better with a pair of 10x50mm (just an example) but a young person could use the pair of 7x50mm binocs and get a brighter (if less magnified view).

Of course this is largely irrelevant in this time where light amplification and night vision is in wide spread use but the principles remain valid and much of the "I don't see as well at night as I used to" effect is down to smaller pupil dilation.

There is a non intrusive way to measure dark adaption pupil dilation using lenses... but my memory is failing me.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

They would do if they used their headlights.:hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

You know...  my night vision is down on what it was when I was young but I still see better when it's dark than SWMBO.

I'm wondering if it's related to pupil dilation the more you can dark adapt the larger your pupils will open, but as you get older they open less.

Thinking back to Amateur Astronomy a young person's pupils will generally open to around 7 millimeters in diameter but by middle age that will be down to 6 and even 5 as one grows older.  It's related to the magnification and light circle size of binoculars used in very dark conditions.  The light circle of a pair of 7x50mm binocs will exceed the pupil size of an older person and light will be wasted, an older person would be better with a pair of 10x50mm (just an example) but a young person could use the pair of 7x50mm binocs and get a brighter (if less magnified view).

Of course this is largely irrelevant in this time where light amplification and night vision is in wide spread use but the principles remain valid and much of the "I don't see as well at night as I used to" effect is down to smaller pupil dilation.

There is a non intrusive way to measure dark adaption pupil dilation using lenses... but my memory is failing me.

I wonder if being born in a country where the sunlight is much strong they have developed effectively inbuilt sun glasses and that's why they like bright vibrant colours, or at least bright and vibrant to us.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gary D said:

born in a country

or where loud engines and morning roosters caused early hearing loss,,,for the volume always seems to be maxed out :hystery:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

or where loud engines and morning roosters caused early hearing loss,,,for the volume always seems to be maxed out :hystery:

That's just a lack of grown up supervision during the formative years..........or ever.

• Haha 2