Paid Christmas Caroling

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Just one of the many curious customs in the Philippines.  I don't know if its the same kids hitting us up every night or not, haha.  

Discuss!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Are you giving money?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I always give a few coins as I would rather see kids doing this than begging.  It may be the same group, especially if you have given money.  Also if you give coins the word will spread and you get more kids coming.  I know some expats do not like it but for me it is something that I enjoy.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Mike J said:

rather see kids doing this than begging.

wait until dec 26, these same kids will be shouting "give me coins!"  :hungover_40_anim_gif:

• Haha 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Sure we give 'em something.  I too would rather see them sing than beg.  I think its a curious tradition though, especially with the fond memories I have of caroling every year as a kid.  We might get a cup of cocoa or a cookie back then, but didn't expect anything.  Our place has a gate onto the street, and we have to come down the stairs to even respond, so we can always choose to ignore it if we think they are taking advantage. 

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

I always give a few coins as I would rather see kids doing this than begging.

Agree. I went down to the sari-sari for beer the other week and a kid came up to me and started singing. be damned if i know what it was but I gave him a P10 coin from my change for his effort.

The other day, there was a kid at a stoplight who came to stare into the back of the taxi at us and knock on the window. He didn't get anything.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Just one of the many curious customs in the Philippines.  I don't know if its the same kids hitting us up every night or not, haha.  

Discuss!

It's the same kids here. But I don't mind. They are having fun and I don't mind contributing to their fun. It's pretty cheap to make them happy.:clapping_80_anim_gif:

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Agree. I went down to the sari-sari for beer the other week and a kid came up to me and started singing. be damned if i know what it was but I gave him a P10 coin from my change for his effort.

The other day, there was a kid at a stoplight who came to stare into the back of the taxi at us and knock on the window. He didn't get anything.

Karma will get you if you act like a scrooge.:santahat:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I was in BI Dumaguete yesterday when some kid with a musical stick stuck his head and hand in the door to beg.  The security guy actually gave him a few coins to go away.  None of the foreigners there even looked at the kid, me included.  The beggars are all over during this season and I recognize them as the same beggars hanging out throughout the year, its just that they are all here at the same time now.  Funny how all the babies they carry are still newborns though.

• Like 3