What do you NOT love about living in the Philippines?

gery0x
Posted
Posted (edited)

We also have this other topic,

What do you love about living in the Philippines?

so why not make one about what we DON'T love about living here!?

First of all, I would like this to NOT become a "hate-topic", I think we have plenty of those all over the internet already!

So secondly, I would like to start with a quite funny, satirical video that I found on the web.While watching it I had to chuckle a lot, because even though the guy has some good and valid points, most of it is clearly satire!

So, don't take yourselves too seriously (same as the guy in the video) :smile:, and here you go:

20 Reasons I Dislike the Philippines (2012) (YouTube)

(please note: the opinions expressed in the video are not my opinions! I only share this because I think it's funny and I'd like to start a fruitful and respectful discussion with all of you!)

Edited by gery0x
  • Like 3

boyee
Posted
Posted

I love Filipino culture however the main thing I struggle with is communication.  I am a very direct and honest communicator and when I ask a straight forward question I don't always get a direct and honest answer, especially if the answer is no.  I've asked my driver if he can do something for me while I am away and the answer is always "yes sir"  but he doesn't do it.  My wife tells me it's because he is saving face and doesn't want to say no to me.  He is a great person but doesn't want to disrespect me by being rude but I'd wish he would just say no so I can find someone else to do it.  Oh, and my inlaws don't understand my sarcastic humor.  But then again I don't understand their humor too.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Poor infrastructure, pollution, poverty, corruption, expats who can only seem to bitch and complain about the Philippines and the Philippine people.

Thank you Mike. :tiphat:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

People not replying to emails or text messages even when you highlight how important it is. 

My other major one is I've found that when dealing with businesses they always think that they know best and ignore your input.  Just a couple of examples.  I put a vehicle cylinder head into an engineering shop to get it skimmed. It was an urgent job but they said 2 days which I accepted.  Two days later I went to pick it up and it hadn't been skimmed just chemically cleaned. I then had to take it elsewhere wasting more time.  I took a phone to a repair shop and explained it needs a genuine replacement screen.  I don't want a Chinese copy.  They fitted a Chinese copy that lasted 24hrs so I went back and kicked a stink up.  I told them to replace it but to show me the original screen before they fit it. I went back 3 days later when the screen had arrived but they fitted it without showing me.  It failed 24hrs later and turned out to be another Chinese copy.  I could rattle off many other examples. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

This could go on and on... but probably not in compliance with the O.P's  specifications. :laugh:

Ok... I think the Phils is bloody marvellous... no complaints. :unsure:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 3

gery0x
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I took a phone to a repair shop and explained it needs a genuine replacement screen.  I don't want a Chinese copy.  They fitted a Chinese copy that lasted 24hrs so I went back and kicked a stink up.  I told them to replace it but to show me the original screen before they fit it. I went back 3 days later when the screen had arrived but they fitted it without showing me.  It failed 24hrs later and turned out to be another Chinese copy.

Awesome example!!

A couple of years ago got an "ODE" (an "Optical Device Emulator") soldered into my PlayStation-3 console at a local games-store here.

That thingy is a small circuit board (about the size of a cigarette pack) with some chips on it that trick the PS3 into "thinking" that a real CD-Drive is connected to its CPU, even though you can play "backups" from a harddisk or an SD-Card...

Not perfectly legal, I know, but that's not the topic now.

Soon later that ODE stopped working and I figured it was because of sloppy soldering. So I brought the unit back and asked the guys there to completely remove the ODE please, I would go with original copies from now on.

One day later the job was done. I received my unit and also the disassembled ODE - all good.

But a couple of days later the PS3 started showing some error messages that were definitely ODE-related... very strange??

So I opened the unit on my own, and I found: the old ODE perfectly fitted into my unit, only the main connecting cables dismantled - and sloppily!

Now I had 2 ODEs, one on my desk and one that's still inside my PS3-unit!

What happened here??

So I went back to the store, with my loosely tightened PS3-unit and the "disassembled" ODE aswell, asked the guy "hey you dismantled the ODE from my device, good job so far, but there are still error messages, can you check please?!"

He opens the unit, sees the ODE right on top of the rest of the circuit boards, looks at me, says "Oh...." - and I say "Oh..." :89: and slam the "dismantled" ODE on his counter.

"Why are there 2 of them now, I wanted 0??"

Turns out they were too lazy to disassemble the complete ODE (it's a bit of work, really), so they just un-soldered the 2 main spots - but so sloppy that the thing still was able to give error messages.... :laugh:

So they just gave me a spare part to fool me into believing they did the job right.

Bad thing for them:

I sold both of the unused ODE's on eBay for 4x the price of their work plus hardware! :tongue:

What a bunch of idiots!!

7 minutes ago, graham59 said:

This could go on and on... but probably not in compliance with the O.P's  specifications. 

Everything is in compliance with my specs, there are no specs here instead of not being hateful please!

All input is greatly welcome! :smile:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'll start by saying I could rattle off a list of things I don't like about my home country a lot quicker - I guess that's why I'm here and not there.

Ok...whilst there are numerous significant and insignificant things I dislike here, the one that ticks me off is the lack of desire to do things correctly - from contractors doing lazy work to people leaving their houses and gardens looking like a war zone. They do like their cars big, expensive and shining clean though!

• Like 3

Jack D
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, gery0x said:

What do you NOT love about living in the Philippines?

gery0x, could you please tell us what you love about living in the Philippines?

Edited by Jack D