What do you NOT love about living in the Philippines?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Mostly the humidity ha ha.

I guess the usual: poor infrastructure, lack of sidewalks (even if there is supposedly a sidewalk), people with no discipline - they way the walk, drive, and play music.

Overall I am happy here, though.  Which makes sense, I did not move 8,000 miles to be unhappy. :tiphat:

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

Pinetree
Posted
Posted (edited)

The issue of 'face' in Asia is, in my view, a cop out.  It has become an institutionalised method of lying, laziness, rudeness,  for giving misinformation , or for just plain stupidity and it gets excused by saying, because its in Asia, it's a matter of 'face'.  I just don't buy it. It drives me nuts in Thailand and it seems that parts of the PI suffer from the same phenomena? 

Edited by Pinetree
  • Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

The need /want /desire to always make noise as if theres a fear of silence or peace. eg.. guys going down a road surrounded by traffic but still sitting on their horns. Bus drivers in a line of other buses also sitting on a horn. Setting up giant kareoke speakers and blaring it out over the neighbourhood. People shouting when talking quietly might suffice.  And of course jeepneys that have crap engine maintainance making what can best be described as heavily vibrating roars. I live in Makati and yearn for days of peace. fortunately I enjoy visiting the islands here where with choosing the right place peace can be found.

And one last one.. thte armoured cars that are always around Makati spew out endless amounts of exhaust filth. They surely dont undergo any emission tests. And we all  get to breathe that airborne garbage.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

The issue of 'face' in Asia is, in my view, a cop out.  It has become an institutionalised method of lying, laziness, rudeness,  for giving misinformation , or for just plain stupidity and it gets excused by saying, because its in Asia, it's a matter of 'face'.  I just don't buy it. It drives me nuts in Thailand and it seems that parts of the PI suffer from the same phenomena? 

I do not play that game either.  Showing basic respect to someone is one thing... ignoring wrong behavior is not gonna happen. "Face" or not.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It is what it is and they are who they are, all this Negative Stuff does nothing to change it  :whatever:

• Like 4

Viking
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack D said:

gery0x, could you please tell us what you love about living in the Philippines?

He did :tongue: in the other topic,  what we love about living in Philippines. This topic is about what we don´t like.

• Like 4

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

It is what it is and they are who they are, all this Negative Stuff does nothing to change it  :whatever:

This is very true but I still think it can be good to ventilate sometimes to get rid of some frustrations that´s building up inside, hahaha

I don´t like the blame shifting, their way of making the relatives feel guilty for their own problems and I also gets annoyed of the question "Where is my gift?" :laugh:

I could go on, but as Another member said, there is MANY things in my home country that is not good either.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Mostly the humidity ha ha.

I guess the usual: poor infrastructure, lack of sidewalks (even if there is supposedly a sidewalk), people with no discipline - they way the walk, drive, and play music.

Overall I am happy here, though.  Which makes sense, I did not move 8,000 miles to be unhappy. :tiphat:

It's the way it is here. Accept it or go back home. I see that you have accepted it. Me too.:tongue:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Viking said:

This is very true but I still think it can be good to ventilate sometimes to get rid of some frustrations that´s building up inside, hahaha

I don´t like the blame shifting, their way of making the relatives feel guilty for their own problems and I also gets annoyed of the question "Where is my gift?" :laugh:

I could go on, but as Another member said, there is MANY things in my home country that is not good either.

Set a limit and stick to it. The relatives will soon get the message. You don't OWE them anything!:wink:

• Like 3