What do you NOT love about living in the Philippines?

gery0x
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

In reality this Topic is going to Nationality bashing and that is never Good, we have been near this sort of Thing before and in they end all they do is cause problems we just do not need :wink:

Yet again a very good point which I totally agree on!

That's why - when starting this topic - I asked everybody to PLEASE NOT make it a "hate-topic". But so far it's running good I think. :thumbsup:

"Nationality-bashing" is unnecessary in my opinion since we are all grown up people and this is a discussion forum - but well... the exception proves the rule of course... :89:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, gery0x said:

"Nationality-bashing" is unnecessary in my opinion since we are all grown up people and this is a discussion forum -

But My Friend are  we discussing anything? I don't think so, just having a go at things we are never going to change

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

But My Friend are  we discussing anything? I don't think so, just having a go at things we are never going to change

I think there's two ways of looking at it.  If I was looking to retire here I'd like to be forewarned about possible issues.  I know quite a few Westerners that some of the issues here would drive them to drink.  I tend to roll with things but it can do your head in. 

I'm not fully convinced things don't change.  I've had the usual run ins with the village idiot when you point out solutions to problems and they tell you to go home.  Six months later after a few others have pointed out the same thing it starts to sink in and I have seen changes.  I've even heard the same person now start to highlight issues that could improve things for everyone. 

Remember Filipinos used to worship spirits and demi gods.  Eventually the Spanish managed to indoctrinate them to the Catholic faith and now many are staunch Catholics.  It may have taken a while but they changed.  I think more and more Filipinos are seeing the difference change can make. 

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I think more and more Filipinos are seeing the difference change can make. 

:smile: Then we must let that continue and cease putting them Down at every turn :wink: I have seen many changes for the better in the last 12+ years, slow progress yes! at times But..............the more we put them down the more they will strike back :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:smile: Then we must let that continue and cease putting them Down at every turn :wink: I have seen many changes for the better in the last 12+ years, slow progress yes! at times But..............the more we put them down the more they will strike back :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

I'm seeing the put downs coming more and more from the locals though.  I think Duterte's big stick approach is working.  More and more people are seeing improvements with changes and it's spreading.  I'd safely say on my last residency Facebook in a year it's flipped 180 degrees from Foreigners highlighting issues to now the locals are taking the lead. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

locals are taking the lead. 

:hystery: Yes maybe But is it any wonder, with Topics like this at times  You talk about Facebook and then look at the Defensive remarks made by Foreigners that receive bad talk about one's own Country, This where it leads in my Opinion and of course it is only my Opinion

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

There are certain places in the neighborhood we don't walk past because of the smell of urine.  I don't know what can be done about it, as this is more of an education issue. 

I don't think it is an education issue, more of a lack of public CR issue.  Along the roads, there are virtually none.  There are many restaurants and stores that have no public CR.  When I am downtown, the CRs are few and far between.  I try to use hotel lobbies, when available, as they tend to have nice CRs.  But when wandering around downtown, I have been known to step into an alley, if there is no nearby alternative.

There are less public CRs than trash cans.  The country is not set up for cleanliness.  Not complaining, just sharing my observations

Back in the old country my daughter would complain that boys can pee anywhere, but girls cannot.  I just laughed and told her that is more proof that god is a man ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I don't think it is an education issue, more of a lack of public CR issue. 

Maybe it's different where you are but in most places near Cagayan De Oro there are CR available.  But a lot of them are in malls or gas stations or restaurants or if they're not then they charge 5 peso to use. 

That means in practice that they're only getting used by middle class locals (and the occasional foreigner).

• Like 1

gery0x
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Actually yes, I think we are. As I said, we are not here to bash anybody or any country. We are now on page 4 in this topic and I haven't read any bashing so far, which is a good sign to me!

At the end of the day, certain things will/can definitely not change when nobody talks about them.

You said we also have a couple of Filipino members here on board, so I would love to hear their opinions aswell!

14 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I think there's two ways of looking at it.  If I was looking to retire here I'd like to be forewarned about possible issues.

Yep that's true!

Every medal has to sides on it and one should always look at both *imho*, especially when planning to retire.

• Like 3

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Same thing most Filipinos who live overseas don't like.... don't like being so far away from the family back home.