Help me choose a compact camera

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Viking said:

I use to have the same problem, I want a better camera than I can afford, hahaha.

My last advice still stand, try to see the cameras for real Before you decide. As far as quality of the Pictures goes, I Think you will be happy with any of your candidates in that pricerange.

Good luck :thumbsup:

It is extremely unlikely that I will be buying online here in New Zealand while I am visiting, so my only options are the retail stores.  Still hoping for a boxing day sale that fits my need!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The Sonys are really nice and I find it surprising that here in NZ, Sony is still offering all of them.  I think the first one came out in 2013 or so?  From their website:

Sony RX 100 - $549 NZD

Sony RX 100 II - $549

Sony RX 100 III - $799

Sony RX 100 IV - $1259

Sony RX 100 V -  $1399

Sony RX 100 VI - $1669

Sony RX 100 VII - $2199

Some fantastic cameras there but 4k video is not offered until the IV.  My buddy who is a big Carl Zeiss fan says I should get Sony because of the Zeis lens.  He just go a new 2.4 Zeis lens and posted these pictures.  Beautiful bokeh!

Lou1.jpg  Lou2.jpg

Lou3.jpg  Lou4.jpg

Lou5.jpg  Lou6.jpg

Lou7.jpg  Lou8.jpg

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

Yes, it´s amazing that they still sell the first models, but I guess they do as long as there is a demand for them. And if there is a demand they must be good.

It´s true they have Zeiss lenses, but I dont expect to get the same quality and look as from a DSLR  or mirrorless with a Zeiss lens. Some of the other high end compact cameras use lenses from Leica. I guess this is more a way to promote their products than any actual benefits. Both Zeiss and Leica lenses cost more than the entire cameras that we are looking on here.

Remember also that the depth of field and bokeh has a lot to do with the sensor you got. Compacts are generally not the best choice if that´s your priority, but RX100 and similar models are among the better ones in their class. 

If your set on a RX100, I think you get most value from model III

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Great choices and great prices too, we went to the debut the other evening and I took both my cameras , the Nikon with a 18-270 lens and the Fuji with a 18-55 lens f2.8.

I may have just taken the Fuji , low light was amazing , face recognition amazing , this picture I gave to our 15 year old nephew , showed him what to press and to look through the screen  and then I ran to get myself in the picture, lucky shot or just a great camera. Plus one I had taken.

A65DBD9F-8A53-4263-A228-5E90B3F20C5F.jpegEF0C5426-76E3-4FCD-8218-4E069A89DDC2.jpeg

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Great choices and great prices too, we went to the debut the other evening and I took both my cameras , the Nikon with a 18-270 lens and the Fuji with a 18-55 lens f2.8.

I may have just taken the Fuji , low light was amazing , face recognition amazing , this picture I gave to our 15 year old nephew , showed him what to press and to look through the screen  and then I ran to get myself in the picture, lucky shot or just a great camera. Plus one I had taken.

A65DBD9F-8A53-4263-A228-5E90B3F20C5F.jpegEF0C5426-76E3-4FCD-8218-4E069A89DDC2.jpeg

If I was to start over I think I would go with a Fuji system. I like their analog feeling and they have some amazing glass too :thumbsup:

I am a Nikon guy and it would cost me too much to switch system, so I have to be content with what I got. To be hounest, it´s not the equipment that makes the Pictures, it´s up to the photographer :smile:

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

That’s my problem too, when you add all the lenses , batteries and  filters it’s a tidy fortune, but I wanted a lightweight walkabout camera and a friend introduced me to the Fuji , and it’s a fun camera.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

I've been using this rugged and versatile point and shoot FZ70 for a few years now.  The upgraded FZ80 sold at Amazon is around $250 with 4k, 18 megapixels, also with 60x optical zoom and image stabilizer.  

Lumix camera.JPG

For shooting on the beach and underwater, these GoPro type cameras are perfect for family outings. Accessories like remote control selfie stick, wi-fi downloads and all kinds of attachments, even your children can use these cameras that can take a lot of abuse:

go pro camera.JPG

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jake said:

I've been using this rugged and versatile point and shoot FZ70 for a few years now.  The upgraded FZ80 sold at Amazon is around $250 with 4k, 18 megapixels, also with 60x optical zoom and image stabilizer.  

Lumix camera.JPG

For shooting on the beach and underwater, these GoPro type cameras are perfect for family outings. Accessories like remote control selfie stick, wi-fi downloads and all kinds of attachments, even your children can use these cameras that can take a lot of abuse:

go pro camera.JPG

Jake, I'm very tempted to go with a larger point and shoot like the FZ 80, but for now I am sticking with my plan for a compact.  The larger ones are a much better value.

I still have a Nikon 8800 at home that I bought in 2003 or 2004, as soon as it came out.  It was state of the art for that category but they only sold them for a few years.  I need to break it out and see if the batteries still work.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-Digital-Vibration-Reduction/dp/B00061S2OO

My next plan for an Underwater cam is probably a GoPro.  I have had Nikon and Panasonic underwater point and shoots, and they both leaked.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Viking said:

If your set on a RX100, I think you get most value from model III

Yes, but the III does not have a viewfinder and 4k video.

Considering the Panasonic TZ 110 as it has everything I want, but the price is high here in NZ.  You can get it on Amazon for only $397 usd.  They were asking 999 NZ but now the best boxing day price is 790 NZD, which is about $524 USD.  That is big spread but if I don't find a deal on something else, I might go for it so I can use it the rest of the trip here in NZ.

It is called the ZS100 in North America.

https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-Megapixel-VARIO-ELMARIT-Stabilization-DMC-ZS100K/dp/B010NU5AX8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1R958SXNIUSF4&keywords=tz110&qid=1577185358&s=electronics&sprefix=tz110%2Celectronics%2C325&sr=1-1

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

My next plan for an Underwater cam is probably a GoPro.  I have had Nikon and Panasonic underwater point and shoots, and they both leaked.

I wanted the GoPro so I could do all the things you see others do in the promo videos , and they look amazing, but being a tight arse and I have to convince myself ‘ do I really need one’, well after many hours of convincing myself I brought one , ok it was not a GoPro but looked just like one in every way, it had the waterproof case all the sticky pads , a head band wrist band , sticks everything and it was reduced to half price too, 1300 peso .

Great now I can go mountain biking , sky diving , surfing, swimming, I can be Ironman , well none of that happened , it’s been used a few times for fun underwater , ok in a puddle , the sound is like you have blocked ears , the picture quality is not a camera quality , but for 1300 peso it was fun, but now it’s back in the box collecting dust.

• Like 2