Help me choose a compact camera

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

I wanted the GoPro so I could do all the things you see others do in the promo videos , and they look amazing, but being a tight arse and I have to convince myself ‘ do I really need one’, well after many hours of convincing myself I brought one , ok it was not a GoPro but looked just like one in every way, it had the waterproof case all the sticky pads , a head band wrist band , sticks everything and it was reduced to half price too, 1300 peso .

Great now I can go mountain biking , sky diving , surfing, swimming, I can be Ironman , well none of that happened , it’s been used a few times for fun underwater , ok in a puddle , the sound is like you have blocked ears , the picture quality is not a camera quality , but for 1300 peso it was fun, but now it’s back in the box collecting dust.

I just met a guy here who looks to be 65-70, married to a Filipina family friend.  He is a Masters champion mountain biker here in NZ.  My new hero!

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, but the III does not have a viewfinder and 4k video.

Considering the Panasonic TZ 110 as it has everything I want, but the price is high here in NZ.  You can get it on Amazon for only $397 usd.  They were asking 999 NZ but now the best boxing day price is 790 NZD, which is about $524 USD.  That is big spread but if I don't find a deal on something else, I might go for it so I can use it the rest of the trip here in NZ.

It is called the ZS100 in North America.

https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-Megapixel-VARIO-ELMARIT-Stabilization-DMC-ZS100K/dp/B010NU5AX8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1R958SXNIUSF4&keywords=tz110&qid=1577185358&s=electronics&sprefix=tz110%2Celectronics%2C325&sr=1-1

RX100 III does have a viewfinder, but not 4k video.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

RX100 III does have a viewfinder, but not 4k video.

Ahh, right.  I got it confused with the Canons.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Jake said:

I've been using this rugged and versatile point and shoot FZ70 for a few years now.  The upgraded FZ80 sold at Amazon is around $250 with 4k, 18 megapixels, also with 60x optical zoom and image stabilizer.  

Lumix camera.JPG

It´s really amazing what kind of pictures you can get from this kind of cameras under the right conditions. Their weaknesses are size,  they need much light, small sensors and autofocus for fast moving subjects is not the best. I have been tempted myself to try this one out with 125X zoom.

No need to watch all of it, first 1 1/2 minute is enough to see what it can do. Biggest problem is to find clean air with no mirrage (disturbance in the air because of the heat rising from the ground). There is other videos showing shots of the moon, planets and planes. Maybe it´s only fun in the beginning but it sure open up an area of photography that have not been possible before, for people with normal budgets :wink:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

Maybe it's only fun in the beginning but it sure open up an area of photography that have not been possible before.......

Damn right Viking!  The possibilities are endless with that kind of zoom power.  I would be setting up that P1000 on a tripod at one of your beaches in Sweden, Sandhammaren Beach where I hope to capture some Swedish blondes frolicking in the water.....he, he.

NIKON P1000.JPG

• Haha 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 12/25/2019 at 5:38 AM, Jake said:

I've been using this rugged and versatile point and shoot FZ70 for a few years now.  The upgraded FZ80 sold at Amazon is around $250 with 4k, 18 megapixels, also with 60x optical zoom and image stabilizer.  

Lumix camera.JPG

For shooting on the beach and underwater, these GoPro type cameras are perfect for family outings. Accessories like remote control selfie stick, wi-fi downloads and all kinds of attachments, even your children can use these cameras that can take a lot of abuse:

go pro camera.JPG

Well Jake, you old fart!  Your post does not fit the description of what I wanted.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

We are headed out for Boxing Day shopping in a few minutes, and my target camera is now the FZ 80!  :hystery:

Why?  I just can't justify spending a big premium here in NZ (or in PH) for the high end compacts I want, compared to U.S. prices.   I think we are going to the U.S. next year and I will take another look then.

Right now, to use for the balance of this NZ trip, the FZ will do a lot of the things I want and the price is right, today.  A shop nearby has it for 398 NZD, which is 263 USD, less than the current best price on Amazon, 297 usd.

As Viking said, I think the 60X zoom will be a lot of fun!  The New Zealand girls are not shy and their bikinis are very, very small!  :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jake said:

Damn right Viking!  The possibilities are endless with that kind of zoom power.  I would be setting up that P1000 on a tripod at one of your beaches in Sweden, Sandhammaren Beach where I hope to capture some Swedish blondes frolicking in the water.....he, he.

NIKON P1000.JPG

You dirty old boy, I would never get any ideas like that :whistling::biggrin:

• Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

FZ 80, charging now.  I knew in advance they only come with a USB wall plug charger.  The cord is very short.  I will shop around for an extra battery and charger.  I bought a 32 GB Panasonic card (a bit overpriced) and Marumi clear lens protector from the same store, Harvey Norman.  Not sure if I will buy a case as I probably have a one that fits good at home in PH.

Thanks for all the input and I will post some pictures soon!

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

FZ 80, charging now.  

Thanks for all the input and I will post some pictures soon!

Congratulations Don!  Good thing you attached a clear lens to protect the main glass.  It took me awhile to understand all the bells and whistles of my FZ70.  What helped me a lot was using the online owner's manual.  Here's the website for the FZ80, in particular the burst mode:  

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1233419/Panasonic-Lumix-Dc-Fz80.html?page=124

Have fun with that X60 optical zoom, the focus is pretty fast.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jake said:

Congratulations Don!  Good thing you attached a clear lens to protect the main glass.  It took me awhile to understand all the bells and whistles of my FZ70.  What helped me a lot was using the online owner's manual.  Here's the website for the FZ80, in particular the burst mode:  

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1233419/Panasonic-Lumix-Dc-Fz80.html?page=124

Have fun with that X60 optical zoom, the focus is pretty fast.

Yes, I took only a few pics this afternoon but mostly let my daughter snap away.  Everyone is super busy with family gatherings and wedding prep.

• Like 1