Question about Stop Signs

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

If you own and drive a car here you need a dashcam !

And a very smart lawyer and some extra pesos for "those times" when needed?

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

This is not Filipino bashing, it is just my experience when I was out and about this morning, where there was a line of traffic and the tricycle drivers were impatient as usual, so they overtook the already bumper to bumper traffic and when nobody would let them back in they started yelling at the other drivers, meanwhile while this was going other tricycles were overtaking on the right hand side, seriously you need eyes in the back and sides of your head to keep track of what is happening, it is like the Indy 500.

So there  I was doing 30kph in third gear of the four speed box and that is how the trip went, so I suppose I will save on fuel, if nothing else.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

and of course theres an occasional roundabout /traffic circle and that seems to throw everyone into a loop......you see the weirdest things happening there.. including the guy taking the short cut to nearest lane instead of going all the way round.......im happy not driving here anymore.. except renting  motorbikes when I travel on the islands..and then for sure I and everyone else forgets every rule there might be.....

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I don't drive here - at first it was because i wanted to familiarise myself with the driving system but once I realised the 'system' I decided not to drive. Where we live it's not a problem as taxis abound and in an emergency I'd fancy them to do a better job than I.

I don't think things are as bad as this thread makes them seem, at least not where I am but there is a certain organised chaos that applies - they get it and many of us don't. There are rules and then there is how it's done - often not the same thing. I can honestly say I see fewer accidents here than in the UK but then again I'm not on the road as much so who knows?

I'm happy I don't need to drive. 

• Like 5

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 12/23/2019 at 3:36 PM, jimeve said:

What's a stop sign? Not seen any in Dumaguete, in fact the only road sign I have seen is....No parking, That's where all the motorbikes park on the sidewalk so people walking have to walk on the road.

I was going to say the same thing. First visited here in 1971 and have never seen a stop sign. :ohmy:

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Freebie said:

and of course theres an occasional roundabout /traffic circle and that seems to throw everyone into a loop......you see the weirdest things happening there.. including the guy taking the short cut to nearest lane instead of going all the way round.......im happy not driving here anymore.. except renting  motorbikes when I travel on the islands..and then for sure I and everyone else forgets every rule there might be.....

The roundabouts seem to be working fairly well here in Cavite. No traffic enforcers are involved, so you know right away that traffic will run smoother. The only other time I experienced roundabouts was while I was driving in Mexico and they worked very well there.:Happy:

Gary D
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

If you own and drive a car here you need a dashcam !

I read somewhere that they are not admissable here in the Philippines. To much reality involved.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 12/22/2019 at 10:50 PM, Onemore52 said:

Having read the Philippines road rules I am still in the dark about what happens at Stop Signs here in the Philippines.

Example:

I arrive at a stop sign at a 4 way intersection, I am on a minor road and intend to cross the major road which is at the stop sign I am at.

On the opposite side of the road there are vehicles, tricycles and motor bikes 3 abreast of course on a single lane road, all of these vehicles have their left indicators on attempting to leave the minor road and go onto the main road in front of me.

Now this is doing my head in because where I come from and I do realize that it doesn't count where I come from, but my understanding is that those vehicles wishing to turn left in front of me should yield to me, in other words let me cross first. Now it isn't a big deal for me to let a couple of cars go first, but here in the province you let one in and it means that you let the other 50 vehicles go before you as well.

tia

Is this a trick question? The first to get their nose into the intersection ahead of anyone else wins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Is this a trick question? The first to get their nose into the intersection ahead of anyone else wins.

Actually earthdome this is one of the questions in the written test where it states as the answer, that whoever arrives at an Intersection first shall have right of Road :ohmy:

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Actually earthdome this is one of the questions in the written test where it states as the answer, that whoever arrives at an Intersection first shall have right of Road :ohmy:

I know the rules of the road regarding stop signs. Perhaps I should have included an emoji to indicate my comment was sarcastic for those who take things too literally.

• Like 1