Question about Stop Signs

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/24/2019 at 4:52 PM, Gary D said:

I read somewhere that they are not admissable here in the Philippines. To much reality involved.

Actually, here in Davao, all taxis are required to have dashcams and back cameras too. They are built into big, ugly rear-veiw mirrors that replace the factory rear-view mirrors.

I still don't think it will make much difference regarding foreigners. If any of us are involved in an accident, somehow it will be our fault (and our cost)...

Oh... and I don't recall seeing any stop signs here either.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, earthdome said:

Is this a trick question? The first to get their nose into the intersection ahead of anyone else wins.

So if you know the rules, what are they please, I am very keen to know.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

So if you know the rules, what are they please, I am very keen to know.

https://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra1964/ra_4136_1964.html

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks intrepid, I found what I was looking for, that at a stop sign the vehicle turning left has right of way over the vehicle on the right hand side.

the rest of it is hilarious, especially the speed limits.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Thanks intrepid, I found what I was looking for, that at a stop sign the vehicle turning left has right of way over the vehicle on the right hand side.

Just don't expect it to be heeded. Fortuner owners drive as if entitled, taxi drivers tend to be aggressive, private car owners can be aggressive like taxis or slow (because it must be safe to go super slow - as they slowly run red lights and make their bizarre maneouvers - usually with hazard lights flashing), motorcyclists always in a reckless hurry, tricycle drivers seem adept but often ignore rules, most pedestrians are clueless. Somehow it seems to usually all work out, but when someone makes a mistake, everything stops.

I have seen a number of crunches and several times with bikers knocked down. I have seen so many very close calls and fear that awful sound of impact. Every time I drive I am always nervous, careful and finally thankful when it is over - especially after dark.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Tommy,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, which mirror mine, that I will not under usual circumstances drive out at night at, there is always a time when it is necessary, such as the other night when I had to take one of the puppies to the vet, where the buyer was waiting for me to deliver the puppy, very simple act in a disciplined society, but on the way home there was a van on my left hand side coming out of a side street which I didn't see until the driver barged his way through a line of traffic to get in (why are they so bloody impatient is beyond me), and then sat behind me flashing the high beam on and off, then overtook me blaring the horn and taking no notice of cars coming in the same direction, then forcing his way in front of me.  So in the end he won, at risk to other motorists and himself no doubt but he still won the battle, which is as I think is the way they think.

So like you I arrived home again in one piece and went straight to the beer fridge and sat there calming down from the experience.

What was that television show from the early sixties, "The Naked City" where at the end of the show a voice would say "There are many tales from the Naked City, this is just one of them" something to that effect.

Who was the Cop, Joe Friday?

• Like 1

gery0x
Posted
Posted
On 12/26/2019 at 8:27 AM, Tommy T. said:

I still don't think it will make much difference regarding foreigners. If any of us are involved in an accident, somehow it will be our fault (and our cost)

Not necessarily, at least not in Davao!

Not me, but a friend of mine from the US once got involved in a traffic accident here in DC somewhere in the Buhangin area, nothing big just some material damage.

The police came and investigated the scene, ruling in favor of my Kano friend! And no bribes were involved.

Possibly that's not the norm, but there obviously is just a little bit of justice for us foreigners, too! :tongue:

1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

and then sat behind me flashing the high beam on and off, then overtook me blaring the horn and taking no notice of cars coming in the same direction, then forcing his way in front of me.

I know this kind of situations, but luckily I don't experience that very often.

Anyway, in a setup like this I usually try to make sure that the guy can NOT overtake and I will drive as slowly and patient as possible, only to see the other guy go mad shits in the rear mirror! :popcorn:

It's more fun on the Philippine roads! Drive safe everybody!!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, gery0x said:

Not necessarily, at least not in Davao!

Not me, but a friend of mine from the US once got involved in a traffic accident here in DC somewhere in the Buhangin area, nothing big just some material damage.

The police came and investigated the scene, ruling in favor of my Kano friend! And no bribes were involved.

Possibly that's not the norm, but there obviously is just a little bit of justice for us foreigners, too! :tongue:

I know this kind of situations, but luckily I don't experience that very often.

Anyway, in a setup like this I usually try to make sure that the guy can NOT overtake and I will drive as slowly and patient as possible, only to see the other guy go mad shits in the rear mirror! :popcorn:

It's more fun on the Philippine roads! Drive safe everybody!!

That's good to hear a positive story regarding the accident with your friend. Thanks for sharing that experience! I hope that IS the norm, but won't hold my breath on that.

The reason my post was rather negative was based on a friend of a friend's experience on Samal Island about 2 years ago. He was stopped at an uncontrolled intersection in Babak, waiting for traffic to clear so he could make a left turn. An off duty police officer ran into his door while the Kano was stopped. The cop had no license, no helmet, was wearing open toe sandals and his bike was unregistered. He then claimed to the guy that the accident would not have happened if he (the Kano) had not been there.... Duuuhhhh? Go ahead and argue against that logic?

He then proceeded, over the course of several days, to threaten this guy to pay some large amount of pesos in damages - I don't remember the amount but it was somewhere north of 40-50k. He became so threatening that the Kano (who lived on his yacht at the marina on Samal) parked his pickup, locked up his yacht and took his wife and kids and returned to USA. I never followed up on what happened after that. Remember that life is cheap here.

Meanwhile, I do not wish, myself, to test either theory. I just returned now from grocery shopping - which entails a short drive to a nearby mall. Traffic was rather unyielding and being a tad assertive was not very productive, but I got home safe and sound. Now I am soothing my nerves with a few hits of Tanduay before I do some cooking here...

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
On 12/23/2019 at 5:15 PM, expatuk2014 said:
50 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

That's good to hear a positive story regarding the accident with your friend. Thanks for sharing that experience! I hope that IS the norm, but won't hold my breath on that.

The reason my post was rather negative was based on a friend of a friend's experience on Samal Island about 2 years ago. He was stopped at an uncontrolled intersection in Babak, waiting for traffic to clear so he could make a left turn. An off duty police officer ran into his door while the Kano was stopped. The cop had no license, no helmet, was wearing open toe sandals and his bike was unregistered. He then claimed to the guy that the accident would not have happened if he (the Kano) had not been there.... Duuuhhhh? Go ahead and argue against that logic?

He then proceeded, over the course of several days, to threaten this guy to pay some large amount of pesos in damages - I don't remember the amount but it was somewhere north of 40-50k. He became so threatening that the Kano (who lived on his yacht at the marina on Samal) parked his pickup, locked up his yacht and took his wife and kids and returned to USA. I never followed up on what happened after that. Remember that life is cheap here.

Meanwhile, I do not wish, myself, to test either theory. I just returned now from grocery shopping - which entails a short drive to a nearby mall. Traffic was rather unyielding and being a tad assertive was not very productive, but I got home safe and sound. Now I am soothing my nerves with a few hits of Tanduay before I do some cooking here...

Here in Subic where there are several stop signs they are rigourlessly enforce. Weekends are fun when the place fills up with drivers out of Manila.

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Traffic lights and all other road signs/instructions in the Philippines are advisory only. If somebody really wants to get past you - let them go. They may be the one who gets out of their car and shoots you.

• Love it 1