Subway in Manila?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The major roads have pumps from what I see on youtube so I guess the subway will be worked out. So much negativity in this topic so ,,, nah  sick of it.  Things are better than years ago.  Most new infrastructure is backed by overseas companies with good knowledge of how to build what.  

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The major roads have pumps from what I see on youtube so I guess the subway will be worked out. So much negativity in this topic so ,,, nah  sick of it.  Things are better than years ago.  Most new infrastructure is backed by overseas companies with good knowledge of how to build what.  

Have to agree.  Why so negative?  Flooding is something every system has to deal with and I would bet that there is good technology in place to deal with it.

I was amazed and a bit skeptical when I heard about it, but I saw pictures of the tunnel boring machines being delivered on the docks.  Amazing stuff!  I have a friend here in Subic who is a trainer for a German tunnel boring equipment company, but they don't have this contract.

I believe most of the contracts for the subway tunnels are with Japanese firms and the boring machines are Japanese.

They have a better plan than some countries / states.  I grew up in Los Angeles area in California and they said a subway could not be done.  So they built the above ground metro rail that helps a few people commute.  Nobody I know.  Now they have wasted billions on the high speed rail project that connects nowhere to nowhere in the middle of the desert.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Have to agree.  Why so negative?  Flooding is something every system has to deal with and I would bet that there is good technology in place to deal with it.

I was amazed and a bit skeptical when I heard about it, but I saw pictures of the tunnel boring machines being delivered on the docks.  Amazing stuff!  I have a friend here in Subic who is a trainer for a German tunnel boring equipment company, but they don't have this contract.

I believe most of the contracts for the subway tunnels are with Japanese firms and the boring machines are Japanese.

They have a better plan than some countries / states.  I grew up in Los Angeles area in California and they said a subway could not be done.  So they built the above ground metro rail that helps a few people commute.  Nobody I know.  Now they have wasted billions on the high speed rail project that connects nowhere to nowhere in the middle of the desert.

Well London has 3 Tunnels under the Thames and 4 if you count the Rotherhithe Foot Tunnel and of course we have that big Subway :smile: Under the English Channel so it can be done and may I say that those tunnels under the Thames were built in Victorian times and are of good behaviour water wise YET the Dartford Tunnel under the Thames again) built in the 60's has leaked ever since.  modern Technology  :89: Furthermore we have over 400 miles of Underground Railway in London ( built in the 1800's) and quite a few miles in and around Glasgow in Scotland, Anything is possible If done right . :wink:

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

Of course water can be kept out of any tunnel system (as it has to be while constructing it !)

But, let's wait and see, eh... speaking as an ex-tunneler myself.  :smile:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

The Subway in Terminal 3 at NAIA has been dry every time we have eaten there.... huh? what? LOL

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 12/26/2019 at 10:43 PM, graham59 said:

let's wait and see, eh... speaking as an ex-tunneler myself

Was that exciting or a  boring job. :hystery:

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 12/26/2019 at 8:06 AM, OnMyWay said:

Why so negative? 

On 12/26/2019 at 8:06 AM, OnMyWay said:

believe most of the contracts for the subway tunnels are with Japanese firms and the boring machines are Japanese.

But of course things will be better in Manila.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But of course things will be better in Manila.

Yes, but look how clean the water is!  They can swim in it!  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1