Wallpapers

Viking
Posted
Posted

Do any of you have any experience of using wallpapers in Philippines?

Could be a fast and easy way to get a new look in your rooms, if they can take the humidity?

What do you think?

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The wife to be at the time wallpapered the bedroom to tidy it up for my upcoming visit, the paper came in pieces about the size of wrapping paper and in the night I could hear a grinding noise as the termites ate the glue from the back.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

SWMBO took it upon herself to wall paper the main bedroom in our house a few months ago.  She bought it in 10 meter rolls from a local hardware store and it came... errr pre-sticky?  There was a backing which you peeled off.  I helped a bit but mainly it was her and her mama.  The hardest thing was getting the pattern lined up right between the vertical sheets.  We ended up with a fair bit of off cuts because we had to start part way along a roll to match up the pattern between the rows of paper.

A smaller and/or simpler pattern would be less wasteful.  Honestly it wasn't particularly difficult once we figured out the pattern.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We have quite a bit of wallpaper back in England and yes that’s going in the next balikbayan box I have been told, it would make a nice feature wall yer right.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

The wife to be at the time wallpapered the bedroom to tidy it up for my upcoming visit, the paper came in pieces about the size of wrapping paper and in the night I could hear a grinding noise as the termites ate the glue from the back.

You can now buy them in 10 m rolls. Not so nice if they will be eaten by the termites though, not so much for the sound hahahaha, but the destruction it will cause :unsure:. It was probably cellulose from the glue or the wallpapers themself that attracted them.

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

SWMBO took it upon herself to wall paper the main bedroom in our house a few months ago.  She bought it in 10 meter rolls from a local hardware store and it came... errr pre-sticky?  There was a backing which you peeled off.  I helped a bit but mainly it was her and her mama.  The hardest thing was getting the pattern lined up right between the vertical sheets.  We ended up with a fair bit of off cuts because we had to start part way along a roll to match up the pattern between the rows of paper.

A smaller and/or simpler pattern would be less wasteful.  Honestly it wasn't particularly difficult once we figured out the pattern.

I have also seen that it seems to be pre-sticky, I would much prefer the regular one, where you roll the glue on the wall and then put the wallpaper on, much easier since it doesn´t stick right away. As long as the termites will not have a feast on it!!!

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have not had termite problems but the load bearing  interior walls in our house are concrete and that’s not termite food.

SWMBO took some photos, the vertical stripe pattern was much easier to line up than the circles (and wasted less paper).

8848F929-F125-4ED0-B4F2-B97320BDD464.jpeg

A2A8EAC1-0BBE-443E-AAF3-F4A0B2D089B5.jpeg

84EC7F65-E9B7-4078-A55E-2CD64BEAB9F5.jpeg

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

It does look nice and adds some class to a room.

We toyed with the idea but I'm a little concerned about humidity etc.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I had my apartment done 2 yeasr back when I moved in . Found a company that supplied nice quality papers/vinyls and installation. Did one whole bedroom, another bedroom was just accent same as main living room. Its been good but after 2 years i need to rdo some of the edges where aircon has dried it. otherwise its good and im well satisfied. Takes skill and expierience to hang so I got a company to do it ( even though my Dad could do it like a champion)

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

There is also another insect that I have encountered which could be a cause for concern yet could be a false alarm? I don't know the true name of them other than all yachtsmen referred to them as "Book Bugs." The are very small and similar in appearance to aphids - just tiny off-white specs that can move fairly quickly and seem to prefer the adhesive found on bound and paperback books to be a favourite food. I have no idea if they would eat wallpaper glue, but they devastated most of my paperback books on the yacht. Just another possible consideration...

• Like 1