Possible trouble??

Viking
Posted
Posted

We plan to move to Philippines later in 2020. My wife was married before to another foreigner. They got married in Philippines, then she moved to Sweden. After 10 years in Sweden they got a divorce in Sweden, but not in Philippines.

She is now married to me. Her ex husband is also living in Sweden and we have no trouble with him. My wife is a Swedish citizen and no longer Philippino citizen. 

Can this give us problems when we move there?

Will it be problems if she want to get back her Philippino citizenship? 

:tiphat:

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I don't see how they could make the connection, worse case lodge her divorce in the Philippines.

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Don't know about Sweden. My wife had little difficulty becoming a dual US/Philippines citizen.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

I don't see how they could make the connection, worse case lodge her divorce in the Philippines.

I am more thinking if a jealous friend/neighbour or someone else want to make life hard for us, is it possible for them to give us serious trouble because of the situation? Many people knows that she was married before to another person.

Yes, it will be possible to file for a divorce/anullment in Philippines, but that can take a long time and cost lots of money so we prefer to avoid that.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Guy F. said:

Don't know about Sweden. My wife had little difficulty becoming a dual US/Philippines citizen.

It is now possible to be a dual citizen in Sweden, It wasn´t when she moved here. I was thinking if it would be a problem to Philippine authorities, if she apply to regain here Philippino citizenship being married to another man? Technically she is still married  in Philippines with her ex husband. As long as she is not a Philippino Citizen I don´t THINK this would be a problem but maybe we are opening a can of worms if we try that?? 

• Like 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Everything I have absorbed on this forum tell me that it likely WOULD be a problem for her to reacquire her PH citizenship.  That is to say, coming in as a Swede, and saying "see I'm married now" I think would be considered renouncing of her home citizenship status.  Others may correct me, but that has been my take, because PH is not a dual citizenship country.  

On the other hand, if she simply arrived as a Philippine national, same as she left, then they won't even know about her Swedish passport.  Sounds like you may have to go through the painful process of a Philippine divorce if you want her name changed here. 

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Except there is no 'divorce' in the Philippines, for its Catholic citizens... only 'annulment'. 

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

I believe the current situation is that IF the (foreigner) husband initiated the divorce in the foreigner's country, then it will be recognised by the Phils authorities for their 'divorced citizen. 

If initiated by the Filipino citizen in the foreign country, it will not be recognised.

There are moves to change this...to favour the Filipino, but not yet passed  by government.

Really though, a Filipino family lawyer would be best consulted on this, as well as a perusal of the relevant Phils government websites. 

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Everything I have absorbed on this forum tell me that it likely WOULD be a problem for her to reacquire her PH citizenship.  That is to say, coming in as a Swede, and saying "see I'm married now" I think would be considered renouncing of her home citizenship status.  Others may correct me, but that has been my take, because PH is not a dual citizenship country. 

On the other hand, if she simply arrived as a Philippine national, same as she left, then they won't even know about her Swedish passport.  Sounds like you may have to go through the painful process of a Philippine divorce if you want her name changed here. 

A former Philippino Citizen is allowed to have dual citizenship. He or she can apply to regain their Philippino citizenship. Me, as a born Swedish Citizen can not get a dual citizenship in Philippines. 

She no longer have a valid Philippino passport so that is not an option.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I believe the current situation is that IF the (foreigner) husband initiated the divorce in the foreigner's country, then it will be recognised by the Phils authorities for their 'divorced citizen. 

If initiated by the Filipino citizen in the foreign country, it will not be recognised. 

Really though, a Filipino family lawyer would be best consulted on this, as well as a perusal of the relevant Phils government websites. 

In Sweden it doesn´t say who initiated the divorce :89:, you only get a document to prove that the divorce is valid.

Even if  she initiated it, she was not a Filipino Citizen at that time, she was already Swedish Citizen.

Your advice of a Filipino family lawyer is probably the best idea, thnx :tiphat: 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1