VPN'S

bob1965
Posted
Posted (edited)

I’m Looking at getting a VPN service right now.  If anyone’s Interested surfshark have a deal on currently. $67 cdn for 2 years. Get good ratings on cnet etc. 30 day money back guarantee.

Edited by bob1965
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, bob1965 said:

If anyone’s Interested surfshark have a deal on currently. $67 cdn for 2 years.

Surfshark are my backup VPN, it works well most of the time. 

It is a bit more limited in the server locations than Express VPN and it routes torrent downloads via servers other than the one you've got configured which can make browsing very slow if you're downloading.  But if you don't torrent and browse at the same time that doesn't matter.

And as a plus for the extra security concious types it supports double hop VPN which even Express VPN doesn't do.

And you can't argue with that price!

• Like 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just a note on VPN's check who owns it as best you can if you are going to be doing banking transactions or other financial through it, a cheap VPN might be nice until you find it wa sactually a honey pot run by Russian hackers (as happened to a few bitcoin exchanges).

A better way to do secure transactions is through a socks 5 http tunnel into your own $5/month virtual machine (which you can also set up as your own private cloud, etc). Yes I know this is beyond most people here but it is doable and is a far more secure option if you want to avoid hte risk of a vpn in the middle attack.

Edited by AusExpat

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 5/5/2020 at 4:33 PM, Arizona Kid said:

I paid for an Avast VPN. Haven't had any problems with it. You can choose your location.:huh:

I have a Avast VPN, and can't get online with it.

• Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

I have a Avast VPN, and can't get online with it.

The free one or the paid one?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

FYI:   It took HideAll IP  5-6 days to respond to my e-mail  'S.O.S.' for resumption of service access on my new computer. They probably cancelled my old computer's license in-house, since I wasn't able to,  and all I had to do was re-enter my license code, which they re-sent me, on my new computer at their site page.  

I read that the internet portal 'Opera' which I  have installed for alternate access (normally firefox or e-razor  were older options when I had problems with banking access), has a free VPN, but I never tried it  since the Hide All works quite well now.  However, I don't use it for streaming Netflix or other pay sites, since I am koriput  and am satisfied with youtube entertainment choices.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2020 at 2:04 PM, roddavis said:

I use ExpressVPN, and never had an issue.

Yesterday I decided to switch from the free VPN Chrome extension and bailed out to pay for ExpressVPN, just because I am mistrustful of most things "free." So far, so good. It connects me through a server in San Francisco and that's fine with me. No more issues with banks:smile:, but still no stimulus deposit or check...:sad:

jimeve
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, GeoffH said:

The free one or the paid one?

Paid

• Sad 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yesterday I decided to switch from the free VPN Chrome extension and bailed out to pay for ExpressVPN, just because I am mistrustful of most things "free." So far, so good. It connects me through a server in San Francisco and that's fine with me. No more issues with banks:smile:, but still no stimulus deposit or check...:sad:

how much is the paid Express VPN? If you don't mind me asking. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, jimeve said:

how much is the paid Express VPN? If you don't mind me asking. 

No problem, Jim. It is one of the more expensive ones at just under US$100/year. To me it is well worth it for piece of mind. I Googled reviews of free and paid VPNs and ExpressVPN always was at or near number one. I find it is easy to use, works great so far (one day only) and I can choose which server(s) I want among many all over the world. However USA and here will be the only ones I should need. I like the added security this offers over just using Smart (Stupid!) ISP here in Philippines. I should have done this years ago...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1