Food

graham59
Posted
Posted

I brought my own pans, cooking utensils (and rice cooker) from England Steve.  :smile:

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I brought my own pans, cooking utensils (and rice cooker) from England Steve.  :smile:

The pans what they are using here are what we sent over a few years ago, I don’t think a good Brillo pad would even make a dent in them now, it seems a swill under the tap and it’s clean to many folk,but hey ho.

Edited by stevewool
Added more

graham59
Posted
Posted

No concept of hygiene here mate.

One reason why I do my own cooking  (and dishwashing afterwards).

It was the little things that were important though... like my lovely comfy and efficient British spud peeler. Spud masher, etc, etc. 

Also my many FUSED British 4 and 6 gang extension leads. 

Quality of most stuff here is crap, unless you want to pay a silly price. So why buy here, when I already owned these things back home and could bring them with me, or send ?

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, graham59 said:

SWMBO and here mother use scourer pads in combination with a tub of hard soap.  The rub the pads (which have a course side and a sponge side) into the soap dish (which is like a margarine tub but with soap in it) after getting the pad wet then rub the dish or plate whilst running it under cold tap water.  It's not hot water washing but it seems to get the plates and cutlery clean ok.

I can't remember the brand name right now but I'll update the post after I ask when later.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

One reason why I do my own cooking  (and dishwashing afterwards).

It was the little things that were important though... like my lovely comfy and efficient British spud peeler. Spud masher, etc, etc. 

Also my many FUSED British 4 and 6 gang extension leads. 

Quality of most stuff here is crap, unless you want to pay a silly price. So why buy here, when I already owned these things back home and could bring them with me, or send ?

Indeed , I have my own mug and bowl here , but the mug was not put in my bag from last night and god knows how many lips have been around the rim. 
Also I brought a kettle to go on the gas ring, fantastic for my tea I thought and it even whistles when the water gets hot, lasted 1 f-in day, work up next day to find the plastic parts had melted , someone puts the gas on but for reason it’s on full and they don’t know how to switch it down. Ems famous words it don’t matter., my famous look said it did.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, GeoffH said:

SWMBO and here mother use scourer pads in combination with a tub of hard soap.  The rub the pads (which have a course side and a sponge side) into the soap dish (which is like a margarine tub but with soap in it) after getting the pad wet then rub the dish or plate whilst running it under cold tap water.  It's not hot water washing but it seems to get the plates and cutlery clean ok.

I can't remember the brand name right now but I'll update the post after I ask when later.

That's also how we wash the dishes here.  I like the "Axion" brand of tub soap the best.  Tried some others that were to soft and mushy, others that were so hard it felt like cement.  Another thing that I do is to rinse off a dish outside in the garden area if there are bits of food and rice still on the platen prior to a wash.  Helps to keep the drain from getting clogged up with food particles.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mike J said:

That's also how we wash the dishes here.  I like the "Axion" brand of tub soap the best.

I asked SWMBO the name and she said her and her mama use the same brand.

For those worried about using cold tap water the tub soap is antibacterial.

Capture.JPG

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, graham59 said:

Was going to criticise this comment how ever this am while in gym was watching catering  people laying the tables for a small party. All were laying out cutlery by grasping wrong end end of the utensil, even appeared a few of them had grubby hands...

Still the above comments is a little misleading as I have not experienced problems here with my partner or previous partners.

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Was going to criticise this comment how ever this am while in gym was watching catering  people laying the tables for a small party. All were laying out cutlery by grasping wrong end end of the utensil, even appeared a few of them had grubby hands...

Still the above comments is a little misleading as I have not experienced problems here with my partner or previous partners.

It's not 'misleading'. It's my opinion, from experience gained from my many long stays in this country over the past 30 years.  

Your opinion and experience may differ, of course. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, graham59 said:

It's not 'misleading'. It's my opinion, from experience gained from my many long stays in this country over the past 30 years.  

Your opinion and experience may differ, of course. 

It matches the majority of my experience here also.  There are exceptions, people who have graduated with Food qualifications are often an exception (SWMBO for example has a food course qualification and she's more careful than most Filipinos about food and so is her mama who used to work in a large carendaria (Bisaya for food stall/small restaurant).

• Like 1