Can a leopard change its spots

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We all have to change something in our lives to make things better or just to keep the peace but how far do you go ,plus can others change there ways to help you along .

As a foreigner in a new country where things are done so different and it’s been done that way since they wanted it done that way so why change , I am on about day to day living .

These last few days has been very hard for me , from eating a light breakfast or having nothing, then another meal later in the day or early evenings and it’s been like that for years to what seems like eating from waking up to going to sleep, it’s the constant cooking and smells and noise , it’s being with the family way which I can understand and I do try to stay with them all but I feel like I am taking up a seat for someone , so I leave to sit somewhere else.

Again I have mentioned about my cleaning compared to being here and I will us the washing liquid and even boil some hot water but they will just rinse and use again, and rubbish , I have mentioned let’s get a bin with a lid but that’s fallen on deaf ears it seems.

Its a complete new way of living , I am not on holiday eating out and so on , but also I don’t fancy living like this for ever either.

Would it be different if we was living in our own house , I think it would ,but when there is some celebration like family gatherings well then it’s Emma’s way the family gatherings way has to be respected .

Am I regretting anything we have done so far ,no I am just having a moan about two cultures clashing without knowing they are clashing .

Believe me when I say I am trying to change my ways but it seems it’s only going one way , a great saying in England,a child should be seen and not heard , yes it’s very old saying , but here you hear then like foghorns then the adults start and we even have a yapping dog that’s get in on the act too now.

They are all leaving tomorrow I am told but I was also told they are only here for New Year’s Eve .well if they are here it’s going to be fun the builders are here too.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Lou49 said:

I moved to the PI in 2011 intending to probably stay permanently. I lasted 13 months. Drove me nuts. The little things just ground me down until I couldn’t take any more. So now I visit several times a year, I stay 2 or 3 months, then retreat back to my fortress of solitude in Canada. Best of both worlds.

It's good that you recognized your perceptions and tolerances fairly early on. Just come here when the snow is 3 meters deep and the temp drops below -20 there. Everyone should do like you - what makes them happy and comfortable.

• Like 4