Thugs and little sh-ts

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 1/2/2020 at 9:53 AM, Tommy T. said:

We see this all the time in our neighbourhood and nothing bad seems to happen - no vandalism, no graffiti... They just sit on a curb or wherever and are totally immersed in their phones... I guess that's better than roaming the streets causing whatever mayhem some youth do?

We lived in a rental house in a development for the first few months while we built the wall around our property and built our house. A lot of things happened outside of the gate including fights, loud parties, and one goat slaughter but we never had a problem with the kids or young people there. Davao may just really be different, though.  

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

So far only politeness and curiosity from the local youth around here.

We do appear to be related to most of them though, one way or another... going by Facebook.  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, jimeve said:

We should have built our wall taller, Eve said she wanted the breeze to go through. Now every time a person or a dog goes pass our dogs start to bark. The perimeter wall is only 4 foot tall but the post are about 8 foot, so we can make the walls taller when we have time. 

Our front is 8 feet and the rear is 10. The sides are 4 with 4-foot high pieces of angle iron atop them to let the air (neighbor's burn pile smoke and pig manure odor) through.

• Like 2

gery0x
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Davao may just really be different, though. 

Indeed, most of the districts here in Davao are relatively qiet compared to other cities that I know of. And by "quiet" I mean that people use to behave themselves!

Never forget this is Duterte's city and it has been for many decades. But of course there are also "problem areas" here just as everywhere else (I'm looking at you, Boulevard district)...

As Tommy said, the vandalism here is really within reasonable limits *imho* - of course there are some kiddos here and there who spraypaint their ugly tags anywhere and everywhere (lack of talent), but there are also really really nice pieces of art scattered around the city which are done by more or less professionals who also take care not to destroy or damage private property!

(Areas to mention here: the wall across Ateneo near MTS, the construction site walls of the former burned down NCCC mall, actually every area that holds colleges or unis)

I like that! :smile:

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, gery0x said:

(...the construction site walls of the former burned down NCCC mall...)

Not to run off-topic but some of that art is absolutely fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gery0x
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Not to run off-topic but some of that art is absolutely fantastic.

Talking about the NCCC construction walls, they were initially done in broad daylight by a team of around 15-20 artists.. I guess they got Barangay approval for that or something.

Don't know how they look right now though as I haven't been there in a while...

Anyway back to topic; I live in the middle-class Bangkal area, in a normal living area near Central Park where most of the people have well paid jobs and nice houses.

I don't have high walls around my lot, just a fence and a couple of trees/bushes.

The only noise I have here once in a while are my own dogs when they are playing *lol*, sometimes one of the neighbors with karaoke, and the occasional motorbike or tricycle - but all in all it's super-quiet here and I really love that place!

As somebody said before: location is key!!

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I live in the ‘large lot’ street of a subdivision, most of the houses in our street have high fences (walls) between them.  Our rear and side fences are 10 foot concrete with broken glass cemented in place on top (we bought the house like that), we’ve never had a problem that needed that.  The front is six foot metal mesh on top of 2 foot concrete with solid locking gate.

I originally thought the rear yard looked like an old style prison exercise yard but I’ve come to realise how effective all that concrete is at keeping noise out :)

• Like 2