Slumbullion

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

L wants me to - again - make her favourite dish of mine - slumbullion. She wants this maybe once a week or so. I offer to cook fish, steak, burgers, burritos, but she always wants slumbullion...

Back when I was 11 years old, I went to summer camp on an island in Lake Huron. That's where I learned sailing, canoeing and swimming and how to avoid poison ivy...

When we went on one canoe voyage, the camp guides made what they called slumbullion. It was simply a combination of ground beef and canned baked beans mixed together in a frying pan. But after a long day canoeing, it tasted like heaven to me.

So, fast forward... I now make it like this:

ground beef (as much or little as you want, but about 700 grams seems about right)

1 or 2 cans of baked beans - Campbells is preferred, but Hunts or even some local brands work

1 medium or large onion, chopped

several cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped - depends on how much you like garlic...for me, more is better and too much is never enough...

green and/or red or yellow peppers - maybe a total of one altogether - chopped

1/2 or so English cabbage - chopped coarsely

salt

pepper

worcestershire - only Lea and Perrins for my taste

tabasco - regular flavour

tabasco - chipotle flavour

cheddar cheese

sour cream

I cook the ground beef first then drain off all the fat and put the beef in another container. Then I fry the onions, garlic and peppers in a bit of olive oil until soft. Onions first, then add garlic, then add peppers or else you might burn the latter two. Then I add in the cabbage but not to cook so much as to get hot and soft. Lastly the ground beef is added and the baked beans. Just heat until hot. I add in a bunch of coarsely ground pepper, several healthy shots of the worcestershire, a few shots of the regular tabasco and a bit of salt, as needed to taste good. The beans already have some salt and sugar so be careful about seasoning. The real beauty of this simple meal is that you can add or subtract almost anything you wish to your taste and likes...

Serve with a good few good shots of the chipotle tabasco and/or other hot sauce as you prefer.

Pile on some grated cheese and then top with sour cream.

Your arteries will hate you, but your taste buds will love you.

Cheers!

Stop torturing me. Sounds great!:ohmy:

• Haha 2

fototek1
Posted
Posted

I think Tommy is inviting us all for dinner. BYOB is good with me :thumbsup:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, fototek1 said:

I think Tommy is inviting us all for dinner. BYOB is good with me :thumbsup:

Sure!!! Why not?:biggrin:

AK has been talking about cases of cold beer that he is willing to give away? So maybe he will share?

When the new house is done, only...so you will have to wait a bit...sorry...:sad: Just be patient!

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I think your onto something with that Tommy! Yummy.

• Thanks 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 1/3/2020 at 4:24 PM, Tommy T. said:

I cook the ground beef first then drain off all the fat and put the beef in another container. Then I fry the onions, garlic and peppers in a bit of olive oil until soft. Onions first, then add garlic, then add peppers or else you might burn the latter two. Then I add in the cabbage but not to cook so much as to get hot and soft. Lastly the ground beef is added and the baked beans. Just heat until hot. I add in a bunch of coarsely ground pepper, several healthy shots of the worcestershire, a few shots of the regular tabasco and a bit of salt, as needed to taste good. The beans already have some salt and sugar so be careful about seasoning. The real beauty of this simple meal is that you can add or subtract almost anything you wish to your taste and likes...

Serve with a good few good shots of the chipotle tabasco and/or other hot sauce as you prefer.

Pile on some grated cheese and then top with sour cream.

Your arteries will hate you, but your taste buds will love you.

Cheers!

Sounds very good and already asked the wife to make it.  She said if we substitute the baked beans for kidney beans and would make a heck of a good chili.  Maybe, but I want to try with baked beans first!  Thanks Tommy:tiphat:

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, intrepid said:

Sounds very good and already asked the wife to make it.  She said if we substitute the baked beans for kidney beans and would make a heck of a good chili.  Maybe, but I want to try with baked beans first!  Thanks Tommy:tiphat:

As said before... why not? I have, considered but not yet tried, adding potatoes, carrots and peas. The whole thing is just sort of a pot-luck stew that uses anything in the kitchen... I have also thought about adding some ground pork but not tried that either... I'm not so sure about anchovies though...those belong on pizzas and in Greek salads...:smile:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The dish sounds good, the name eh - not so much. :hystery:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The dish sounds good, the name eh - not so much. :hystery:

You are right, there, Mike. I also call it "Campfire Stew." Maybe I should stick with that? L cannot remember the "other" name anyway...

• Like 2