Considering Move

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, gery0x said:

there are only 2 Montessori schools in the Phils, one in Manila and one in Davao.

???

Montessori.jpg

• Like 1

gery0x
Posted
Posted

Be Careful!! Not every school that puts "Montessori" in it's name is really an accredited Montessori school!

Same goes for "K-to-12" schools, I had many disappointments with them as well, some simply want to make money out of the name itself.

There are others besides Montessori de Manila for sure, but none of them really gained my trust while investigating for my kid's future school.

• Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, gery0x said:

I don't think that Montessori education works online... :89:

Haha... fair comment.  :biggrin:

I thought this was an interesting viewpoint :

https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/1136046/why-not-montessori/

KMS
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, gery0x said:

Be Careful!! Not every school that puts "Montessori" in it's name is really an accredited Montessori school!

Same goes for "K-to-12" schools, I had many disappointments with them as well, some simply want to make money out of the name itself.

There are others besides Montessori de Manila for sure, but none of them really gained my trust while investigating for my kid's future school.

41 minutes ago, gery0x said:

Yes, thanks Gerox. It's exactly the same where i live in Ireland. I was fooled my employment when i was younger.  They hold the domain name 'Montessori ', and then you walk into a room with plastic toys, and raised voices and chaos.  

I have to say tho i currently own a Montessori school, and I'm not accredited with AMI, and i follow the ethos with passion. It can be very much a hit or a miss.  I've been looking at some Montessori  FB pages from lorenzo (if I'm correct in the name), and i couldn't see any visible Montessori equipment. Really sad.  Cheers!!!!

• Like 1

KMS
Posted
Posted

I've actually taught a lot of Children from Davao city in my own current Montessori school in a TINY town in North West Ireland.  I must hook up with the parents. 

KMS
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Haha... fair comment.  :biggrin:

Definitely not!!!!!

• Thanks 1

gery0x
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

What's written in this link is exactly an example of what I meant in my post above; not a real accredited Montessori school.

Too bad that that woman (in the link) made those experiences, anyway her words are definitely NOT what Montessori is about!

The kids don't "not learn" what they are not interested in, that is nonsense. Also it's not some kind of occupational therapy *lol*.

The basic fact is, that there is a strong emphasis on the region(s) a child is talented at - some sort of a "grading system" is in place, but it's rather evaluation than grading.

As I said, my youngest (almost 5 years old) attends Montessori de Manila (accredited!) for 2 full years now and I am totally amazed by the progress she makes!! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, KMS said:

I've actually taught a lot of Children from Davao city in my own current Montessori school in a TINY town in North West Ireland.  I must hook up with the parents.

Huh?? How comes that Davao kids are being taught in NW-Ireland?!

If it helps I could hook you up with the local Montessori school (the principal) in Davao, maybe she can give you some insights - just thinking...

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I do online teaching here and am perfectly legal, I am registered with BIR, have a TIN and pay tax so all above board. Tutors are generally hired as contractors so no benefits or guaranteed hours but in reality higher pay than in either public or private schools IF you are willing to work longish hours i.e. more than 8 per day. If you are a workhorse you can earn 50k per month - I have done but no longer due to changing priorities.

It is not that easy to get a 'proper' teaching job as they feel here that they are native level speakers and therefore there is no reason to hire foreigners - some exceptions exist but that's the general case.

Yep, working in Hong Kong or Taiwan will pay more but try renting a place, buying a beer  etc etc etc in Hong Kong and you will quickly see it's not as great a money spinner as it seems. I've done both for a long time and all things considered,there is little in it financially. 

Long story short, i wouldn't be able to pay my bills and have a reasonably comfortable life on a teacher's salary alone here.

• Like 2

KMS
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, gery0x said:

What's written in this link is exactly an example of what I meant in my post above; not a real accredited Montessori school.

Too bad that that woman (in the link) made those experiences, anyway her words are definitely NOT what Montessori is about!

The kids don't "not learn" what they are not interested in, that is nonsense. Also it's not some kind of occupational therapy *lol*.

The basic fact is, that there is a strong emphasis on the region(s) a child is talented at - some sort of a "grading system" is in place, but it's rather evaluation than grading.

As I said, my youngest (almost 5 years old) attends Montessori de Manila (accredited!) for 2 full years now and I am totally amazed by the progress she makes!! :thumbsup:

Huh?? How comes that Davao kids are being taught in NW-Ireland?!

If it helps I could hook you up with the local Montessori school (the principal) in Davao, maybe she can give you some insights - just thinking...

Hi! Yes, i agree on what's said in that article.  I go by obviously following their interests, but also positive encouragement to work on other areas.  I pair children of to work alongside eachother, which works as great positive reinforcement.  

Due to rigid government regulations in Ireland we also have to follow a play base curriculum too, but i manage to merge the 2 nicely together  

Yes, we've a lot  of Filipino families in my town of Sligo. They all work as nurses. Lovely kids and families to deal with.  

Yes, i would love a contact with the school your daughter attends. It sounds wonderful. Have they got a website?? Have a look at my little school.  LINK REMOVED PER RULES.,,,,, jOLLYGOODFELLOY

Many thanks 

Edited by Jollygoodfellow

KMS
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I do online teaching here and am perfectly legal, I am registered with BIR, have a TIN and pay tax so all above board. Tutors are generally hired as contractors so no benefits or guaranteed hours but in reality higher pay than in either public or private schools IF you are willing to work longish hours i.e. more than 8 per day. If you are a workhorse you can earn 50k per month - I have done but no longer due to changing priorities.

It is not that easy to get a 'proper' teaching job as they feel here that they are native level speakers and therefore there is no reason to hire foreigners - some exceptions exist but that's the general case.

Yep, working in Hong Kong or Taiwan will pay more but try renting a place, buying a beer  etc etc etc in Hong Kong and you will quickly see it's not as great a money spinner as it seems. I've done both for a long time and all things considered,there is little in it financially. 

Long story short, i wouldn't be able to pay my bills and have a reasonably comfortable life on a teacher's salary alone here.

Hi . Okay, al that is good to know. I presumed there was a high demand for English speaking teachers. I'm specifically looking for a Montessori teaching job, as it's my passion. I do wonder what qualifications they require for online teaching though. Im presuming a degree in English and no lower?

Many thanks