Considering Move

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 1/4/2020 at 1:13 PM, gery0x said:

Be Careful!! Not every school that puts "Montessori" in it's name is really an accredited Montessori school!

Very true. I saw one the other day that had a sign in front of the school that claimed it. This was in Cavite. Be careful. I did have my son when he was around 10 yrs old go to Kumon. It helped for awhile and he was enjoying it. Once he became frustrated with it we pulled him out. He's still doing much better than I did at his age of 14. Maybe later I will tell him that I didn't even complete grade 11. I was able to join the USN at the time because a high school graduation certificate was not a requirement.:mellow:

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, gery0x said:

Not being an expert on school business models, but €1400 a month is more than I pay per year per kid in the Philippines!

90€ for 3 hrs a day, which makes an hourly rate of 30€?! Those are numbers you can only dream about in the Phils!

Even the richest out of the rich won't be ready to pay that -  and the (accredited) Montessori-"market" here is very sparse.

Sorry for possibly taking the wind out of your sails here, but the Philippines are a completely different world (business-wise) than Europe!

Maybe China could be a better start for you, there the schools are MUCH MUCH more expensive than here (1400€ a month are cheap there)!

There's schools that charge more than that here to be fair, British School Manila is 1-1.5 mil pesos per year depending on the age. Think there's a couple even more expensive.

• Like 1

gery0x
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

British School Manila is 1-1.5 mil pesos per year depending on the age.

True that, but not Montessori schools.

At least I haven't heard of any... Please correct me if I'm wrong!

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 1/3/2020 at 10:17 PM, gery0x said:

I don't think that Montessori education works online... :89:

@KMS there are only 2 Montessori schools in the Phils, one in Manila and one in Davao. My youngest daughter attends Montessori Davao and as far as I know they are always looking for new teachers.

https://www.montessoridemanila.edu.ph/contact

I have no idea about their salaries though.

I saw a Montessori school when I lived in Baguio.

KMS
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

Unfortunately, here in the Philippines the concept that you get what you pay for doesn't always work - you get what you are able to fight for!  So, a high fee doesn't guarantee a high quality - this may be true everywhere but even more so here. 

Thank you for that.  It seems to be the same all over.  I worked in a school in and parents were laying€1400a month fees.  I had to leave due to the care of the children.  So yes a fancy uniform and logo doesn't sell it for me. 

KMS
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

There's schools that charge more than that here to be fair, British School Manila is 1-1.5 mil pesos per year depending on the age. Think there's a couple even more expensive.

Yes , there would be a big difference fees wise in Ireland, I guess I've really idea until I get researching.  I've also thought about Vietnam.  

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
On 1/4/2020 at 11:40 PM, KMS said:

Hi . Okay, al that is good to know. I presumed there was a high demand for English speaking teachers. I'm specifically looking for a Montessori teaching job, as it's my passion. I do wonder what qualifications they require for online teaching though. Im presuming a degree in English and no lower?

Many thanks 

My wife teaches English online here in phils for a company based in Taiwan. For teaching Chinese students you need a BA degree or above. That rule came in a couple of years ago. You also need a TESL. Salary for online teachers is not very good for Phils based companies, typically around 70 to 90 php/hour. There are one or two that pay more, around 140php/hour but they are the exception. As I understand it, no degree is required for teaching online at Phils based schools. However foreign based companies pay much better. My wife works six days a week, usually a couple of hours in the morning and two or three in the evening. Saturdays and Sundays are her busiest days where she works three hours in the morning, three hours in the afternoon and two hours in the evening. All teaching Chinese, Taiwanese and Japanese students. She is paid in US$ and with bonuses, her take home pay is around 65k php/month which is excellent by Phils standards. If she worked a few more hours she could easily earn around 80k plus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

Hello KMS!

Just curious, why do you want to move to Philippines? Have you ever visited Philippines? If not, I suggest you do that before you decide to make the move.

I don´t want to sound negative and I really wish you best of luck! Philippines is a great place but it´s not for everyone :thumbsup:

KMS
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

Hello KMS!

Just curious, why do you want to move to Philippines? Have you ever visited Philippines? If not, I suggest you do that before you decide to make the move.

I don´t want to sound negative and I really wish you best of luck! Philippines is a great place but it´s not for everyone :thumbsup:

Hi, yes just at the initial stages of research.  Wherever i pick, i will be going on a holiday there during our summer.  So it's make my mind up time.  So much to consider.  

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, KMS said:

Hi, yes just at the initial stages of research.  Wherever i pick, i will be going on a holiday there during our summer.  So it's make my mind up time.  So much to consider.  

That should give you a good prospective of the Philippines spending the rainy season here. I'll be back in the UK for the better weather.