What’s the right price

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Years ago the saying was ‘ you could live like a king in the Philippines on your wage’ , well that was a long time ago and prices has gone up so much but alas the wage has not and if you are retired well then it’s digging into your savings for things you think you are needing..

But I still think it is cheaper here for many things but how cheap is cheap, we are looking for window security bars and door bars too, the prices that I thought we could get them for and the prices we have been quoted are miles apart and that could be down to my way of thinking , but here is the problem when you get 2 or 3 or more quotes for the same simple design and the price quadruples and that’s without them knowing I am a foreigner and being charge foreigner prices, the first price was 14600 peso which was by email with my sizes , then he came and then the price was 25000 peso for the same sizes I quoted, then another quote 65000 and the last quote 90000   so what is the real price.

I have mentioned before and others have said  about it could work out cheaper to buy the welder and do everything myself just buy the material , I am sure after watching you tube a few times and making what looks like a few Picasso artworks I should get the hang of it.

I did see a street welder the other day on my walk around the area and as I slowed down to watch him with a small mobile welding machine weld some old steps back together, well I could have done a better job with a Sticking plaster.

Once you know the price I am prepared to haggle I little but I hate the thought of being ripped off by anyone.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

For your consideration:

Have an older Pinoy relative who your wife trusts check with his mates and get 2 more quotes. He also might be able to get a labor quote from a willing friend or connection to do the job on site if you buy the materials. The guy might have access to a welder....borrowing or renting one reasonably. 

No sense in doing the work yourself, IMO, considering local  PI labor costs and inherent risks to your health and well-being.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

The window and door bars are in most cases a total waste of money anyway, from a 'security' point of view , IMO, and just make you feel you're living in a prison...or a cage. 

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Based on some railings we recently had made, 14,600 seems suspiciously cheap.  Ours were a combination of 1x1" and 1x2" hollow steel tube in a nice vertical spacing pattern.  We had two sections made, 8ft and 4ft long, and had to pay 15,000.  That included removal and disposal of the old railings, welding install of the new railings, and a primer coat.  Granted, window bars are going to be a much smaller material, but how many windows are we talking about?  I'm guessing 10 - 12? 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, graham59 said:

The window and door bars are in most cases a total waste of money anyway, from a 'security' point of view , IMO, and just make you feel you're living in a prison...or a cage. 

It is true that they're of limited use from a security view point and they can hinder access during a fire.

But it is possible to have them made in a decorative way that reduces the 'security bars' look... makes them look like window decoration from a distance.

• Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, graham59 said:

I'm considering asking my landlord to remove the iron bars around our windows. The ceiling and interior walls are made of wood. It's an old house so it would probably burn up like a match stick. Even the bedroom aircons have a cage around them. Been thinking about it for awhile now because I have 5 burglar alarms that I feed twice a day that would keep us safe. :89:

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

It's an old house so it would probably burn up like a match stick. Even the bedroom aircons have a cage around them. Been thinking about it for awhile now because I have 5 burglar alarms that I feed twice a day that would keep us safe. :89:

:smile: AK,  what does a Fire dog look like? :whistling:

• Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:smile: AK,  what does a Fire dog look like? :whistling:

Like this?  :whistling:

fire-sparkles.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The reason for the cage around the aircon is not to stop the aircon from being stolen but to stop someone lifting the unit out and passing a small boy through the hole.

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

A simple car scissor jack will soon get a child through barred windows... in total silence. 

It's as much how the windows are 'anchored' in that needs doing properly (practically impossible on a Filipino style abode).

Again, a simple crowbar/'wrecking' bar (for our American friends) will easily lever off most of these crappy little window cages, with hardly a sound. 

If burglars want to get in to your house, without you making it like Fort Knox, believe me, they will be in there.  Through the (weak) roof is another option. 

I don't like dogs myself, but they are certainly a better bet.  IMHO

• Like 1