What’s the right price

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My House and contents insurance Premium was reduced by 16/17% because I had bars and another 2% because they had an emergency 

centre flap with a quick release that can only be opened from Inside, Note ; the bars are Internal

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Based on some railings we recently had made, 14,600 seems suspiciously cheap.  Ours were a combination of 1x1" and 1x2" hollow steel tube in a nice vertical spacing pattern.  We had two sections made, 8ft and 4ft long, and had to pay 15,000.  That included removal and disposal of the old railings, welding install of the new railings, and a primer coat.  Granted, window bars are going to be a much smaller material, but how many windows are we talking about?  I'm guessing 10 - 12? 

Nine in total 

jimeve
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, graham59 said:

A simple car scissor jack will soon get a child through barred windows... in total silence. 

It's as much how the windows are 'anchored' in that needs doing properly (practically impossible on a Filipino style abode).

Again, a simple crowbar/'wrecking' bar (for our American friends) will easily lever off most of these crappy little window cages, with hardly a sound. 

If burglars want to get in to your house, without you making it like Fort Knox, believe me, they will be in there.  Through the (weak) roof is another option. 

I don't like dogs myself, but they are certainly a better bet.  IMHO

My window bars are in the inside of the window. First they need to break the glass or force the window open, even with a car jack it would be impossible to get a open space for a small boy to fit through, maybe a baby lol. Then 3 dogs barking like mad and biting the intruders arse and me with a baseball bat ready to knock the living daylight out of them. Plus I have razor wire along the perimeter fence. There are easier picking in the neighbourhood.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

In all the years the house has been here there has never been any bars on the windows or doors ,but it seems there has never been anything to take either that’s what they tell me,but what does amaze me is there are locks on the bedroom doors to stop people going in there , maybe that’s where they keep everything out of site and that is why we have a good lock fitted on our bedroom door , but is that to stop burglars taking stuff or people closer at home taking stuff, anyway back to looking but if the budget does not stretch that far ,it will not be done, plus anyone can take our blow up bed and canvas wardrobes , they won’t be missed once we are on the plane back to England .

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

There are easier picking in the neighbourhood.

This is the crux of the matter - there is probably no such thing as a burglar-proof property but as long as my property is harder to get into than my neighbours I will sleep more easily.  

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

My window bars are in the inside of the window. First they need to break the glass or force the window open, even with a car jack it would be impossible to get a open space for a small boy to fit through, maybe a baby lol. Then 3 dogs barking like mad and biting the intruders arse and me with a baseball bat ready to knock the living daylight out of them. Plus I have razor wire along the perimeter fence. There are easier picking in the neighbourhood.

That's the way to do it. :cheers:

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Back on topic, we were quoted 30K for bars on 13 windows - average size. We live in a typical middle-class subdivision so I assume some mark-up already included.  60,000 and 90,000 seem way too high and 15,000 way too low so who knows - somewhere between the 60,000 and 15,000 I'd guess.  

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

In all the years the house has been here there has never been any bars on the windows or doors

In 12 years I have lived in 8 different houses/apartments in the Philippines.  Some for as short a time as one month and this current one for 5 years.  Only one of the houses I lived in had bars on the windows.  I lived there for 10 months until I was robbed.  It is the only house I lived in that was robbed.  I laugh at the thought of bars being a security device.  Location, location, location.  That is the best security device, IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

If they want to get in they Will, bars only stop the opportunist thief, if your neighbors looks easy. They will take that

• Like 4

gery0x
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Location, location, location.  That is the best security device, IMHO.

I agree!!

One of the doors to my house can be opened with a credit card or just a piece of strong cardboard within .5 seconds!

My front gate was never really locked for around 5 years now (because we lost the key for the lock and never bothered after that *lol*), but we have bars all around the house's windows plus 3 dogs who go crazy whenever a stranger approaches the gate.

I'd say that I'm living in quite a secure neighborhood, but my opinion is that window-bars, CCTV cameras and so on, give a certain outside-impression to intruders. And the dogs will definitely make them think twice before attempting to break and enter!

Back to topic:

I would go for a good welder and buy the materials myself!

But a "really good" welder is difficult to find here...

My best bet would be finding a relative who knows how to weld and give him the job for small money,  a case of beer and a nice dinner.

• Like 4